Re: Captured on iMac with FCP 5.1.4 in stereo becomes mono when imported into my G5 FCP 4.5

Captured on iMac with FCP 5.1.4 in stereo becomes mono when imported into my G5 FCP 4.5 (August 07, 2008 06:15PM) Notowitz
Hey all,
I captured some DV footage onto my iMac OS 10.4.11 using FCP 5.1.4 and QT 7.5. I wanted to use my G5 to do the actual editing (G5 OS 10.3.7 using QT 6.5.2 and FCP 4.5), but once we dragged the QT files (through an Ethernet connection) into this new project and started editing I realized that the audio was one mono channel instead of stereo. If I look at the same footage on the iMac it shows the footage as stereo. It seems as if my G5 thinks the footage is mono... Anyone remember hearing about anything like this?

My assistant has already done a few days of editing on the G5 before I saw the problem. What's the easiest way to solve this? We have a sequence with mono edits on the G5, and I could just open that project onto the iMac. But what is the easiest way to relink the STEREO audio to the video. Any trick group / batch edit that I could do that would save me from needing to frame match each edit to replace the audio, one clip at a time?
David
Re: Captured on iMac with FCP 5.1.4 in stereo becomes mono when imported into my G5 FCP 4.5 (August 08, 2008 05:46AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi David,

Select the clips in the timeline and from the Modify menu > Stereo Pair.

--ken
Re: Captured on iMac with FCP 5.1.4 in stereo becomes mono when imported into my G5 FCP 4.5 (August 10, 2008 11:06AM) Notowitz
I wish it were that simple! When I drag an original captured media file onto the timeline on the G5, there exists only one channel of audio, track A1, and there is no audio on track A2. But if that same file is dragged onto the iMac, there appears two channels of audio. My assistant was cutting on the G5 for a few days, not understanding that there should be two channels of audio. Is there any way to import that G5-edited project file with only one audio track into the iMac and somehow, in a batch edit, relink all the edited audio to properly replace the mono A1 track with stereo A1 and A2 as it is recognized on the iMac. I would be happy to continue editing on the iMac after I figure this out...
Re: Captured on iMac with FCP 5.1.4 in stereo becomes mono when imported into my G5 FCP 4.5 (August 10, 2008 11:16AM) Ken Stone Admin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login