Burning 8x DVD-R

Burning 8x DVD-R (August 11, 2008 08:29AM) koryb
Can burning a 8x DVD-R disk at 8x speed be less likely to skip on older players than a 16x DVD-R at 8x speed?

I've heard that there should be no difference, but I've done everything else from change media, change burn speed(16x, 8x, 4x and 2x) and still get skipping disks.
Re: Burning 8x DVD-R (August 11, 2008 09:02AM) Ken Stone Admin
I always burn my DVDs at 4x.

Is this skipping happening on all DVD palyers or just a few? Play the DVD in your Mac using the apple DVD player, does it skip?

What brand of DVD blanks are you using? I use Verbatim, no problems.

--ken
Re: Burning 8x DVD-R (August 11, 2008 09:39AM) koryb
I used 16x DVD-R Taiyo Yudun, 16x DVD-R Fujifilm and others. I've burned them at all speeds but still received poor results.

The dvds were skipping on 5 different DVD players. The only thing it didn't skip on was my PS3. Funny thing was that they don't always skip on the older dvd players, just most the time.

Do you use 16x or 8x disks?
Can unconventional workflow cause older dvd player to have a hard time playing the dvd?
If my dvd plays on some dvd players does it mean the burn process is the problem for sure? Also can bit rate be a problem even if the disks are playing on some dvd players?
Does it matter that I have downconverted HDV footage to a SD format for these disks?
Re: Burning 8x DVD-R (August 11, 2008 09:43AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Burning 8x DVD-R (August 11, 2008 02:46PM) David
I quit using 16x discs because of the problems you describe. I didn't even use a whole stack (of 25). I use 8x discs and burn at 4x. The only problems that have occured have been on a Toshiba laptop and a Toshiba TV with a built-in DVD player. The discs worked fine in everything else. Toshiba has a host of players that don't play right (compatibility issues).

DD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login