Re: export to compressor

export to compressor (August 12, 2008 02:06PM) Anonymous User
Hello, I've been exporting to compressor, and that wheel has been spinning. My question is...is there an indicator to tell percentage/time? The marker in the timeline has not budged in a few hours, nor has the marker in the preview window. The file is 2.5 gig. I don't have a beefy system, macbook pro, 2 gig ram, dual processor (2.something each) so I know it will be slow, but is there anyway it can tell me it's progress?
Thanks.
George
Re: export to compressor (August 12, 2008 03:59PM) Ken Stone Admin
When you export from FCP directly to Compressor, it ties up FCP for the duration. There used to be a frame counter that showed you what frame it was working on. This process takes forever.

I export from FCP as a QT self contained and then drop that into Compresser. Takes a lot less time (and you do get progress bars this way).

--ken
Re: export to compressor (August 13, 2008 06:22AM) Anonymous User
Hi, It is now 17 hours later...is this normal (you said it takes forever) or might I have done something wrong? Is there a way to get out of this to do the QT way?
Thanks
George
Re: export to compressor (August 13, 2008 06:47AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi George,

Don't know for sure, the process could have stalled. Just one of the reasons that I don't export to Compressor from FCP directly.

Is it still running?

Open up your 'Activity Monitor' (HD > Apps > Utilities) and check to see if the processors are working.

--ken
Re: export to compressor (August 13, 2008 07:20AM) Anonymous User
I don't know what to look for...I don't think so. Under CPU, % user goes from 0 to 1.5, % system goes from 0 to 2, % idle goes from 96.5 to 100.

George
Re: export to compressor (August 13, 2008 07:45AM) Ken Stone Admin
Look in the little graphical box in CPU. In the box, does it show activity, are there little green squares going up and down?

--ken
Re: export to compressor (August 13, 2008 08:03AM) Anonymous User
There are just a few and they are just tracking right to left, not moving up and down at all. Most only 1 square tall.

George
Re: export to compressor (August 13, 2008 08:12AM) Ken Stone Admin
I'm pretty sure that Compressor has stalled out on you.

You may want to quit and then export as a QT self contain and go back into Compressor.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login