render but still ripping

render but still ripping (August 13, 2008 05:53AM) lk
Hi Guys,

Using a filter, I put a 12pt white border around a piece if video, i also scewed the x,y and z rotations with the same filter. I used motion to move the video over a video backround. I rendered the video and yet....i get really badly broken up border around the video?

As always, Thank You,
~L
Re: render but still ripping (August 13, 2008 03:55PM) sbeisen
Re: render but still ripping (August 14, 2008 01:52AM) ronny courtens
This can also be done in Motion, with perfect results (see pic 1 attached, image with a 12pt border and just using the Rotate functions to skew it). If you think: "oh but this is just a still" I can send you the little video including motion.

I did the same thing in FCP, adding a simple border and skewing the image with the Perspective > Basic 3D filter. The results were horrible (see pic 2). Then I used the CGM Bsic 3D filter, which was somewhat better but not as good as the Motion project.

So I thought: this must be because my FCP sequence is set to DV. Partially true, but not exactly.

Changing the FCP sequence setting to Uncompressed yielded a slightly better result for the FCP filters, but the Motion project still looked so much better. Then I did the same thing in AE, first exporting the AE project as an Animation file. Perfect in the FCP Uncompressed timeline, same quality as the Motion project.

Finally I exported both the AE and the Motion projects as QT DV video files and dropped them in the FCP DV sequence. Both videos looked less good now, but still better than using the FCP filters.

Conclusion: jagged edges do get somewhat worse when you use the DV codec, but the filters you use also have a big influence. If they already have problems with skewed edges, these problems can only get worse in DV.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: render but still ripping (August 20, 2008 10:42AM) lk
Ronny,
Thank you for such an in-depth answer, it helped tremendously!

All best,
laur
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login