From Motion to FCP without rendering?

From Motion to FCP without rendering? (August 13, 2008 06:19AM) kerry31
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was away to get files from Motion 3 to fcp without rendering them.
I have done a test on a motion file.
When I bring this 8 sec motion file ( the .motn) directly in to fcp drop it in the timeline it takes 30 sec. to render.
When I export the same clip from motion 3 to QT movie, it takes 25 sec. to export. Then import it into fcp drop it in the timeline and it takes 10 sec. to render.
So is there away to export or import .motn files into fcp without rendering or should I say re-rendering this file?

Thanks

fcs 2
mac pro 2x3ghz
4gb ram
Re: From Motion to FCP without rendering? (August 13, 2008 09:03AM) ronny courtens
Hi Kerrie,

1. A .motn project file is not a video file, it's XML. This means that when you bring it into your timeline, FCP will always convert it to the video format of your sequence, i.e. FCP makes a video file from the XML based on your sequence settings. The advantage of using a .motn project file is that you ca always re-open the project file and make changes to it, which you can't do with a video file exported from Motion.

2. When you export a Motion project to a QT video file using the exact same video settings as your FCP sequence, you will not have to render the video file once it is on your timeline.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: From Motion to FCP without rendering? (August 14, 2008 12:20AM) kerry31
Ronny,

Thanks I understand a little clearer now.
I like using the XML based way because I can change things when needed.
But on your second thought about QT exports. I still have to render the QT file in FCP. I think I need to check to see that I'm exporting it to the same format that my fcp is in.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login