How do i soften the edges to simulate a vignette in Motion or FCP 6

How do i soften the edges to simulate a vignette in Motion or FCP 6 (August 13, 2008 10:10AM) filmographer
I am scaling my image down by about 25% and rotating it just a few degrees after I have applied the Nattress film effect that I want, in order to simulate a film being projected on the wall. In order for this to look realistic, the edges have to be blurred NOT clean sharp edges. When I applied Nattress vignette (the only one I have that you can adjust the shape, scale and aspect) it looks great EXCEPT that the sharp square edges of background on the canvas, which is black, shows through thus negating the vignette feathered edge- your eye goes to the sharp edge underneath.

It then occurred to me that if after I scaled the video down if I could blur (feather) the edges it would illiminate the need for the vignette and also eliminate the problem i am having... BUT HOW DO I DO THAT, EITHER IN MOTION OR RIGHT IN FCP?
Re: How do i soften the edges to simulate a vignette in Motion or FCP 6 (August 13, 2008 03:51PM) sbeisen
Re: How do i soften the edges to simulate a vignette in Motion or FCP 6 (August 13, 2008 07:20PM) Andy
Re: How do i soften the edges to simulate a vignette in Motion or FCP 6 (August 13, 2008 11:20PM) ronny courtens
Steve's workflow in FCP will probably give you the best result for what you wish to achieve. Apply the Mask Shape Filter and adjust, then put the Mask Feather Filter on top and adjust (see PROJ 1 picture).

If you wish to add a very subtle blur to the edges of your projection you can do this in Motion. Duplicate your scaled image and put it on top of your original image. Apply a Gaussian blur to the original (bottom layer), so the image gest blurred outside its edges (can't do this in FCP). Then apply a mask to the duplicate image (top layer) and feather it until the masked image blends nicely with the blurred image (see PROJ 2 picture).

To Andy: I like your region blur filter. I will check out the others as well. Nice work!

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login