Re: Motion 3 WTF?

Motion 3 WTF? (August 14, 2008 02:56AM) Videot
This is a new one on me. See attached screen grab.
I'm using a work laptop because it has FCP Studio 2 on it. I'm preparing for a huge all-staff meeting and wanted to use Motion 3 because of the cool new templates in it (I only have Studio 1 on my G5 here, and am not very good with Motion to begin with).

Anyway, as you can see, I opened a template and attempted to change some text to read "SCHOOL BOARD 2008." Notice that in the bottom of the Text inspector, I typed it correctly. But as I watch it appear in the top preview window and in the preview screen itself, by the time I get halfway through the word "BOARD," phantom letters begin popping up. No matter how many times I type it, Caps Lock on or off, it starts scrambling the letters around until it reads "CCOOL BORRD 8888." This is blowing my mind (and lots of my time).

Specs: Studio 2, Motion 3.

Mac OS 10.4.10
QuickTime 7.3.0
Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll mess around with font but doubt that'll help.

- M.

* * * UPDATE * * *

Yeah, font was the issue. Oddly enough, some fonts actually changed the error to something else, while most others corrected the issue. Is this a known problem?

- M.

Re: Motion 3 WTF? (August 14, 2008 03:38AM) Videot
OK, this is getting very annoying now.

Each font works with SOME text zones, but not all. In other words, if I get a caption to come up OK on one photo with, say, AppleLiGothic, the next one will scramble the letters with that same font.

What gives?!!

I even saved the project, shut down, rebooted, repaired permissions (this is not my laptop so I have no idea how well it's been maintained as far as that goes)... I don't have time for this. I may just go back to Final Cut Pro on my own Mac and do a simple slideshow. I thought it would be nice to use a 3D Motion template and add some flair, but it's simply not worth it anymore.

- M.
Re: Motion 3 WTF? (August 14, 2008 04:42AM) Videot
Kill kill kill.

I found ONE FONT that seemed to do well, STHeiti.

There is ONE NAME that still gets misspelled (surname Valfer persists in showing up as "Vaffer" onscreen).

I've run DiskWarrior, repaired permissions... everything short of waving around a dead chicken. I am utterly at a loss.

- M.
Re: Motion 3 WTF? (August 14, 2008 05:05AM) Videot
Re: Motion 3 WTF? (August 14, 2008 07:56AM) ronny courtens
Hi my friend,

Just love your monologue post (-:

I have tried everything I know to recreate the problem you have, but without any success. Everything works as it should with this template on my system. I have selected the weirdest fonts, different colors and sizes, heck I even used animated LiveFonts and all play OK. So I think you might try and trash your Motion prefs.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login