Re: MACBOOK PRO COMPATIBILITY W/G5 QUAD MATERIAL

MACBOOK PRO COMPATIBILITY W/G5 QUAD MATERIAL (August 14, 2008 06:26AM) jrosson
Ken/All,

We've been editing w/FCP 5.1.4 for several years now w/a Power Mac G5 Quad (pre-Intel) and it's done a great job.

Our G4 laptop recently died, and we're considering a new MacBook Pro.

Since we're running Tiger, and the newer system is Leopard, are there issues we'll have to deal with regarding compatibility?

Ideally, we do much initial, rough-cut editing on the laptop, then polish on the G-5. Would stepping back to Tiger present problems?

Thank you,
JR
Re: MACBOOK PRO COMPATIBILITY W/G5 QUAD MATERIAL (August 14, 2008 07:16AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi JR,

As long as the versions of QT and FCP match, there should not be any issues.

--ken
Re: MACBOOK PRO COMPATIBILITY W/G5 QUAD MATERIAL (August 14, 2008 07:48AM) jrosson
Ken... thanks. I seem to recall something about the newer Intels and 'running native', and Rosetta, and that sort of thing. But perhaps I'm confusing operating systems w/versions of FCP & QT.

Also I remember seeing something in this forum regarding a bug in later versions of QT. We're running 7.2.0 and have had no such issues.
Re: MACBOOK PRO COMPATIBILITY W/G5 QUAD MATERIAL (August 14, 2008 08:00AM) Ken Stone Admin
True, newer versions of QT have been problematic with FCP.

If you get a new MBP with Leopard, you are going to wind up with QT 7.5 and I don't know how well this QT will run with FCP 5.1.4 (coulod be a problem).

Have you considered upgraing both Macs to FCP 6.x?

QT could be an issue.

Anyone?????

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login