Re: retrograding from 6.0 to 4.5

retrograding from 6.0 to 4.5 (August 15, 2008 09:18AM) cinecall
I am editing a client's project on their computer which has fcp 4.5. I want to work at home and just email the project files back and forth, we have a cloned fw drive. But, my computer has fcp 6.0. I have another dual g4 with 5.0. Can I reinstall 4.0 ( which I still have a licensed version, but I think that there was the upgrade to 4.5, I am not sure if it is offered ) I tried to talk them into upgrading their computer but since this is a doc that has been worked on for quite a while, they are not willing to do that.
Any similar situations out there?
Thanks for any help,
George
Re: retrograding from 6.0 to 4.5 (August 15, 2008 12:11PM) David Harbsmeier
Since FCP project files are NOT backward compatible, you'll need to export an XML file of the FCP 6 project, then use that file to build the project in FCP 4.5.

If you decide to reinstall FCP 4 (then update to FCP 4.5), it would be best to do it on an OS 10.3.9/QT 6.5.2 install. You can partition a section of a drive to install the older OS and software to create a dual boot system.

-DH
Re: retrograding from 6.0 to 4.5 (August 16, 2008 05:32AM) cinecall
Thanks David,
Great idea with the dual boots. I do have to clone her system so we can both work on it and email the project files back and forth. Can I partition my current os drive without destroying the residual information?
Once again, thank you,
George
Re: retrograding from 6.0 to 4.5 (August 16, 2008 06:15AM) David Harbsmeier
>Can I partition my current os drive without destroying the residual information?

Not that I'm aware of. Here's what I did; purchased a new, internal 500gb SATA drive for my G5. Partitioned into two, 250gb volumes. Used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my old boot drive to one partition of the new drive. Installed the other OS and apps on the second partition. Kept my original 160gb boot drive as a backup (currently in storage).

-DH
Re: retrograding from 6.0 to 4.5 (August 16, 2008 09:53AM) cinecall
Ok Dave,
That makes sense. I will try that.
George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login