Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update

FCP 6 quits on startup (August 16, 2008 04:08AM) Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 16, 2008 05:53AM) ronny courtens
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 17, 2008 08:10PM) Jasper
Hi Ronny,
So far, so good. FCP couldn't be restarted by just copying the prefs from the Quad, unfortunately. However as far as I can see now, uninstalling and then reinstalling just FCP6 did the trick and the system on Octo is up and running again.
Thanks a bunch!
Now the Quad suddenly appears to have the same problem. Is cannot start up and gives me an error code -600
any ideas of what that might be?
I'll give Quad the same treatment as Octo I think.
Upgrading is not made easy this way..
Dank je voor de hulp.
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 17, 2008 08:49PM) ronny courtens
Hi Jasper,

That explains everything.

Don't bother reinstalling the Quad. Your installations are fine, but I think you are trying to run two copies of FCP with the same serial number on two different machines that are connected via a network. If you install copies of only one FCP license on different machines, you can only open FCP on one of these machines at a time, as long as these machines are connected via a network. I hope my answer is clear.

Groetjes

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 17, 2008 08:56PM) Jasper
Oh and Ronny, Airport connections were off.
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 17, 2008 09:13PM) ronny courtens
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 17, 2008 09:31PM) Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 17, 2008 09:41PM) ronny courtens
Good luck and keep us informed on the progress.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update (August 18, 2008 08:10PM) Jasper
UPDATE
Well, The quad seems to be up and running again. It almost never gives any trouble.
Octo's version of FCP however has big issues when external HD's are connected.
Both machines have Airport in the offline setting.

First startup of FCP on the octo looked fine. When asked for an external DV-device I connected the DV player. It got accepted rightaway.
I Arranged the windows as I like them and saved it. Then the trouble began.

1.When I tried to enter the file menu FCP got stuck and started colorballing.
2. I forced quit FCP.
3. I connected the external HD's. (They were previously off.)
4. At startup i got the error -600.

Back to square one.
What now?
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update (August 18, 2008 08:27PM) ronny courtens
Hi Jasper,

I'm sorry to hear you have so much trouble with this install.

Let's take this from the start and do a basic troubleshooting procedure. I think we have more than one issue here, so let's do this by elimination taking one machine at a time to eliminate any possible causes for trouble:

1. First we start with the Octo. Make sure the Quad is NOT switched on and is not connected to the Octo in ANY way (no shared drives, no displays, no cables, nothing). Then connect every device you need to the Octo, power up the Octo, start FCP and see if you can work on the Octo without any problems. Report back how this goes.

2. Then do the same thing with the Quad. Make sure the Octo is NOT switched on and is not connected to the Quad in ANY way (no shared drives, no displays, no cables, nothing). Then connect every device you need to the Quad, power up the Quad, start FCP and see if you can work on the Quad without any problems. Report back how this goes.

By doing this you will be able to see if any of the machines work independently with the current install. Depending on the results of this little test we will then try and find out what really causes the problem.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update (August 18, 2008 08:46PM) Jasper
Ronny, thanks for the quick reaction!

Quad off, Octo on.
No wifi, (standard off now) connected to WD 500GB HD (Firewire 800) and a Maxtor 500GB HD, via Firewire 400 into the WD harddisk.
Further Firewire to DSR 25 player.
FCP starts with the little white loading screen, but fails to complete startup and quits without warnings. Even no error warnings.

Up to this moment Quad appeared to work okay, without the external HD circus attached. (I need them though, for my projects).
Bit scared of plugging them into the quad now..

Okay, tot zover dus..

what next?
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update (August 18, 2008 09:00PM) ronny courtens
Just continue with the Octo, we will deal with this first.

First and above all do a Repair Permissions on the Octo.

Then disconnect all FireWire devices from the Octo. Try start FCP.

If FCP starts: report back.
If FCP still gives your the same problem: go to the Octo Library and check if you find ALL preference files for FCP.

If they are not there, report back.
If they are there, quit FCP and trash the prefs. Then restart FCP and see if it works now.

If it doesn't work, report back.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update (August 18, 2008 09:01PM) Jasper
Oh, Btw, not quite unimportant perhaps, after I did the full erase of FCS2 (with FCS remover) and started to reinstall, both of the macs never asked me for the serial, even though I thrashed the previous version and emptied the bin.

Now what about that?
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update (August 18, 2008 09:11PM) ronny courtens
This is important information.

I assume you have installed FCS2 over an existing FCP installation ? First try the steps I described above. If none of this gives any result we will try something different.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup - update (August 18, 2008 09:17PM) Jasper
Yup, I thought so. Just sprung to mind.. (-:
Well, permissions repaired. A lot, as it seemed. Most to do with QT, Airport and some things that scrolled by too quick to see.
FCP wouldn't start up, quitted halfway through startup sequence.
Looked for preferences, found none whatsoever. Nothing like com.apple.finalcutpro of fcp.
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 17, 2008 08:55PM) Jasper
After I restarted FCP on the Octo everything seemed to work just fine until I tried to access the setup menu. Result: color wheel, and a forced quit. After that, restarted FCP, it asked me for the disconnected HDV camera (why? i reinstalled FCP so everything should be new) I pressed ignore and bingo! FCP quitted and gave me an error -600. Nothing worked. So now I used FCS remover and will spend another long day reinstalling the stuff. On two machines.
Why is this so hard? Since when is upgrading such an important app as FCS this difficult?

In another forum I read something about having to erase all apps from the HD and start over from scratch. I do not want to have to do that..
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 09:30PM) ronny courtens
Okay, I have been expecting this.

Before we proceed, have you tried starting FCP with all FireWire devices disconnected ? I just want to make sure that we have dealt with any possible hardware conflicts.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 09:43PM) Jasper
Yes. Nothing Firewire-ish connected to the Octo.
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 10:14PM) Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 10:26PM) ronny courtens
Hi Jasper,

Sorry I was out for a fast lunch.

Yes, first repair permissions on the Quad, then see if FCP on the Quad is working properlly without any devices connected. If it works, connect the devices one by one including the drives. If all this works we may be able to solve this without too many efforts. If the Quad does not work either, I am afraid I will have some bad news for you.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 10:54PM) Jasper
Haha! hope your lunch was okay. I cannot keep anything inside, now, I'm afraid.. /-:

Quad got its permissions repaired. - a lot! (make me wonder..)

Opened FCP without any cable to an external device. It worked. Full startup, when asked for the DV player clicked "ignore" and FCP was there.
Then connected the DV player. refreshed the AV devices and i had a good connection.
Then I connected the WD harddrive, which connected without trouble. Didn't open it yet, but the Firewire gave no trouble.
After that I connected the Maxtor HD - via the WD Harddisk. No quits but the video out started to show grey digiblocks on the monitor followed by short moments of black which was again followed by a good image and so on.
Changed the Firewire cable for another one but the effect remained the same.
Seems one problem is the Maxtor HD.
It's got an old project, made on FCP5, and up til last saturday it worked fine.
It was connected but not in action during the upgrade.

as far as I can see Quad still functions like it should.

Repair permissions on the Maxtor HD, perhaps?
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 11:09PM) ronny courtens
Repairing permissions is a must after any software installation of upgrade. It is quite normal that many permissions need to be restored so don't worry about this.

This sounds already a little better. You won't be able to repair permissions on the Maxtor as this is not your boot drive. You can, however do a drive check and repair from the same window. Then ONLY connect the Maxtor and see if it works. I suspect a problem in the FireWire chain but am not sure. This test will show this.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 11:47PM) ronny courtens
So far, so good. First make sure everything works fine on the Quad, then we will tackle the Octo again. Just do not daisy-chain the WD and the Maxtor, but do as you are doing now and connect both of them to a separate FireWire port. Then quit FCP and open it again to see if you have any issues. If you are sure everything works as it should: report back and we will continue.

I have a meeting at 15.00 which will last until this evening, but I'm sure we will come to a full solution before this.

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 19, 2008 12:14AM) Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 19, 2008 12:15AM) Jasper
Octo got the same treatment as Quad but even though the disks are un-daisychained connected to - and well received by - the Mac itself,
FCP quits on startup when asking for the DV player.
same thing when DV player is already on and connected.
FCP quits without warning.

So there is a problem in the Octo, too I presume.

groet,
Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 19, 2008 12:17AM) Jasper
Did the same to Octo as Quad but even though the disks are not daisychained plugged to the Mac itself,
FCP quits on startup when asking for the DV player.
same thing when DV player is already on and connected.

So there is a problem in the Octo, too I presume.

groet,
Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 19, 2008 12:19AM) Jasper
Did the same to Octo as Quad but even though the disks are both in other sockets plugged into the Mac itself,
FCP quits on startup when asking for the DV player. The same thing happens when the DV player is already on and connected.

So there is a problem in the Octo?

groet,
Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 18, 2008 11:40PM) Jasper
Hey, Ronny

Sorry we had a visitor, so it took a while..

Tried the Maxtor alone. (Plugged into the frontal Firewire 400) Nothing wrong when I tried to do a repair. The volume is ok.
directly connected to the Quad also is fine and FCP (which was still running) keeps on working smoothly.
Now I'll try to plug in the WD into the system.
(...)
the WD is also up and running in the Firewire 800 front socket. after some initial blocking it runs (i.e. FCP accepts the disk on board) and so does FCP.
However, FCP was still on when I connected the Harddisks.
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 19, 2008 12:26AM) Jasper
Still the same with the octo. FCP will not start up.
Harddisks are good, but FCP quits on startup.
I got the suspicion that there is something very wrong with the Mac itself.
At this moment I am making a document backup onto the external HD just in case...
(my original post was considered spam by the server so this mail will do hopefully)
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 19, 2008 12:43AM) ronny courtens
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 19, 2008 11:04PM) Jasper
Ronny,
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try and cure the Octo later on this week, first I'll have to finish the current jobs on the now up and running Quad.
You have been really helpful and I appreciate this a lot.
I'll keep you posted on the matter.

groet,
Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 12:14AM) Jasper
Update:
Unfortunately the Quad also still isn't functioning normally. Grey digital blocks on the viewing monitor and bad sound quality, disfunctional HD's...

Luckily, I finally found someone here in Groningen who knows Macs like the back of his hand and who is going to look into the problems.
I still am just a user, not a programmer or system operator...

Thanks for the support!
Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 12:23PM) Alexander
Just a thought,
To eliminate fire-wire bus problems, can you do a tiny test project on both machines (with absolutely no external connections)
In FCP6, with (I know this is not reccomended) a small amount of media on the boot drive, or another internal drive?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 12:40PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Alexander,

That would be a good way to test and some people running iMacs and portables will run FCP putting media on the boot drive. As long as your boot drive has a lot of open space. I don't know what format your working with but DV would be okay.

If you have a second internal drive, then yes, go ahead and test from this drive. On my MacPros, I have additional internal drives that I use as scratch drives.

--ken
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 07:16PM) Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 07:30PM) ronny courtens
Hi Jasper,

The erase and clean install should do the trick. You might not even have any FireWire trouble anymore after that. But do try running from the internal drive first before you connect the FiWi devices, as we did during the troubleshoot, so you know exactly where the problem is if you still would have issues.

Groetjes

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 07:39PM) Jasper
Clean install! Wee-Heee! (-; Okay..
Thanks guys.

Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 07:38PM) Jasper
There still were a couple of projects on the second internal drive and they work fine. No blocks whatsoever. So I appear to have a Firewire issue on my machine. What to do?
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 07:50PM) ronny courtens
Hi Jasper,

Is everything working now ? Also with the external devices ? Your two last messages are a bit confusing (-:

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 08:01PM) Jasper
-sorry, I sometimes forget to press the reply button so the posts get mixed up.

Working on the Quad from the internal harddrive is fine. No problems. It's the FiWi that's bad.

Octo gets a full install now, while yesterday only the programs were installed, not the library elements like Soundtrack and Livetype files etc.
oddly enough it installs the whole bunch again, not just the content I wanted. I could not unmark it during installation setup.

By the way, the FCS remover you linked to does not do a clean erase, I noticed. We had to browse through a lot of files to erase things like the serial numbers and other little bits.

I hope I can find them all back myself when erasing Quad - again..
First I want to try to work a little further without the FiWi connections. I'm way behind with my work..

Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 08:24PM) ronny courtens
Okay, keep us posted. Good to know the FCS Remover still leaves some files untouched. I have never had to remove FCS so I have never been able to try this myself. Thanks for the info.

I don't think you have a FiWi bus problem on your Macs (it is nearly iimpossible that the FiWi buses on both your Macs would die at the same time). As I said before, I think the problem is in your external FiWi chain and I sincerely suspect the FiWi bus of the WD drive.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 08:28PM) Jasper
I reconnected the main external HD to the BACK connector of the Mac. No problems. It's the front buses that cause trouble, it seems.
I can work further now while Ocro gets fed by DVD's.
Can there be something software-ish wrong with the front FiWi connectors?

Jasper
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 08:42PM) ronny courtens
Apple advises to disconnect any FiWi devices from the Mac when you do any major software updates like new OS or FCS, because these upgrades also affect the FireWire settings. So yes, it is possible things got screwed there. But the clean install should have fixed this anyway.

If you want to be sure about the front connectors, just connect any other FiWi device such as your deck to the front and see if you can capture without any problems or hickups. If it works then there is nothing wrong with your connectors.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: FCP 6 quits on startup (August 20, 2008 10:20PM) Jasper
I'll try that.
(...)
Update light:
Just tried the second HD (FiWi 400) in one of the monitor sockets. It runs like is shoud, updated the project like it should and is usable.
No blocks, no grey, just fine.
The front might be somewhat of a problem, not yet tried, but will do in the coming day.
As far as it seems now, the problem lies with the front sockets.

Jasper
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login