Re: free up disk space

free up disk space (August 22, 2008 11:06AM) ralimage
I am having two problems. I am trying to use an MPEG 4 file in FCP 5. I was told MPEG 4 is more of a delivery format and I should try and use compressor to convert it to something i can edit with. Please advise me on what the best format i should use to edit this mpeg 4 file in FCP.

ALSO I am getting an insufficient disk space waring. How do I free up disk space with render manager?

At a stand still.

Thanks for your help.

~Rachael
Re: free up disk space (August 22, 2008 11:55AM) David Harbsmeier
>>Please advise me on what the best format i should use to edit this mpeg 4 file in FCP.<<

What are your FCP Sequence settings? You'll typically get the best results (with less rendering needed) by converting odd formats so that they match your FCP Sequence settings.

-DH
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:10AM) ralimage
How do I find out what my FCP sequence settings are?
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:13AM) Ken Stone Admin
In FCP, menu bar. Sequence > Sequence Settings.

--ken
Re: free up disk space (August 22, 2008 03:26PM) sbeisen
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:13AM) ralimage
When I go to render manager no files come up for me to delete.
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:26AM) David Harbsmeier
In your original post, you asked; "How do I free up disk space with render manager?"

But are you certain that it's render files that are taking up all the space? Have you actually looked at what files are on the drive to determine what you still need and what you can get rid of?

-DH
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:32AM) ralimage
When I go to render "insufficient disk space" is the warning message that pops up on my screen. NOt sure what files I can and can not get rid of. Plus it says I have 160GB left of space on my external hard drive. It is a 6 minute mpeg4 clip. It should not need that much space to render, right??
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:39AM) Luis Rafael Cosme
you have plenty left on your EXTERNAL but your "scratch disk" or (the place where your render files are going to) is not set to your external hard drive. You need to change your render settings and set your target to somewhere on your external where you have space.
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:35AM) Luis Rafael Cosme
Explore your computer and delete old large files from anywhere....! see if this problem goes away.

Take your MPEG4 File and throw it in "MPEG StreamClip" program.
Then from there,
export it as Quicktime movie.
A dialogue will come up.
Select "Compression" to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC and set the quality to 100%
if the final product is to be viewed on computers then leave everything else to defaults and hit ok to save your file.

if it's going to be viewed on normal television sets then uncheck "deinterlace" and check or make sure it's selected to "lower fields first"
Then, find a spot in your space filled hard drive! (lol... just kidding) and give the file a name and save it. (usually in the same folder as the FCP project)

your will see it conveting. Then go back to your FCP and import your newly saved file that you made, this one final cut likes!

if you don't have "MPEG Streamclip" Google it and download it. it's free.

Good Luck!

~Lou~
Re: free up disk space (August 23, 2008 05:41AM) ralimage
Thanks Lou I'll give it a try. I appreciate your detailed response!

~rachael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login