Re: pixelation

pixelation (August 25, 2008 09:54AM) johnnyhmn
I know that happens in dark areas or rapid cam movement, but this shot is fine and still i get pixelation. I tried playing with quality in compressor 3, two pass, etc. I even tried idvd7 and still this pixelation around the same place. I cut that part of the party, now i get pixelation after the cut. I burned a couple of times with no success, now I know the problem is when compressing, when previewing in dvdstudiopro4, pixelation is there already.
It is a 110 min. video. With similar videos I haven't had problems.
Any other ideas, please? Thanks!

Johnny
G5, 10.5, dual 2g, 2.5gram, 150g internal hd, about 40 free, 180g second internal with media, 40 free, fcstudio2.
Re: pixelation (August 25, 2008 11:36AM) Ken Stone Admin
What bit rate settings did you use and are you using AIFF or AC3 audio? After you made the cut, how are you exporting from FCP to Compressor?

What video format are you working with?

--ken
Re: pixelation (August 25, 2008 03:20PM) johnnyhmn
Ken,
I use AC3. Always export from fcp using compressor, but also tried a selfcontained QTmovie.
About settings, maybe here is the problem. I was just reading your notes. When I use "best quality 120min", I see average 5 and max 7.5, but the last line says that this allows 94min, so I lower the average to 3.5 or 3.6 until it says allows 120min. could this be the problem? If the preset is correct for 120min, why does it say "94mins"???

Johnny
(minidv tapes, GL-2, SD dvd)
Re: pixelation (August 25, 2008 03:33PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Johnny,

Yikes, you can't go by that figure, it's always wrong.

An average bit rate of 3.5 is going to look just awful, so bad.

Figure your bit rate settings and use those. Or stick with the appropriate preset.

--ken
Re: pixelation (August 26, 2008 05:11AM) johnnyhmn
Ken, using the preset 120bestquality, in dvdstudiopro I got exactly 4.7gb, so I was just able to put a photo in the menu (no music)and burned!
I still don't understand why it says "94min", but it worked.
I'll try bitbudget and use better settings.
And just one more question: if I use "two pass" in compressor, do I need to use "two pass" in dvdstudiopro or can i use just "onepass" now? (just a matter of time)
Thanks a lot!

Johnny
Re: pixelation (August 26, 2008 05:16AM) Ken Stone Admin
Johnny,

I'm not sure but I think the lower reading might be based on AIFF audio and not the AC3 audio that we use and which is a much smaller file. Just use the bit budget.

If you MPEG2 in Compressor, then these settings in DVD SP don't mean anything.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login