Your camcorder suggestions please...

Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 25, 2008 02:24PM) Tom Stitzer
In a thread last month, two cameras were recommended to me: Sony's FX-1 and Panasonic's HVX 200. The Sony was suggested because I am in a budget situation. After some searching, I seem to only find the Sony one on ebay for cheap. Elsewhere it seems to be about three thousand.

So, I was hoping you guys could offer some more ideas and recommendations. Since I'd like to buy extra batteries and cases for the new camcorders, I'd kind of like to stick to about $2000 each for the camcorders (I need 2). I shoot wedding videos so I don't know if that would influence your decision or not. We'd like to go HD as well.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Tom
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 03:02AM) johnmcd
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 04:43AM) Ken Stone Admin
Very impressive for the price.

--ken
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 05:42AM) Gunther Maier
Tom,

I have a barely used Sony FX-7 for sale with a couple of extra batteries, chargers, extended warranty, sony light, etc, if you are interested please call me: 505 603 2547
$1800.00
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 09:04AM) johnnyhmn
You guys think canonhv30 would be better than sony hvr1000?

Johnny
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 02:27PM) filmographer
I haver to be honest with you, coming from the NYC market even the FX-1 is considered not professional enough a camcorder- I used it here in AZ and thought it was a nice piece of equipment for the money. I have never owned a camera that was less than 7 grand (with the Firestore 100 the HVX 200 came to that) so I am not familiar with the lower end camcorders that may be acceptable to shoot with- I will have to defer to others on this site that may be more knowledgeable than I in this area...
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 09:05AM) filmographer
I suggested the Sony FX-1 for a variety of reasons:
1. I had owned it and shot with it many times
2. You are on a REALLY tight budget
3. I have shot over 3,000 weddings/events since 1986 in the NYC/LI area and feel I know a thing or two about cameras.

The first camera I had ever used that was NOT a full size camera was the Sony FX-1... personally I hate the feel and balance of these new generation cameras but they offer a value that makes them impossible to ignore (I own a HVX 200 and am buying the new HVX 200A). One of the only HDV camera's (camcorder) that I think is within your budget (used) and is still a PROFESSIONAL featured camera is the Sony FX-1; it's NOT perfect and I am not suggesting by any means that it is the BEST camera in it's class (more than a few people WOULD say that it is though) but I am saying that it is a great value (used about 2 grand) has a really good image in SD and of course HD and is an excellent camera for someone of your experience looking to shoot HD (HDV) and is on a budget as tight as yours. If you are going to shoot with 2 cameras really try to have two cameras of equal quality... seems obvious but I cannot tell you how many 2 camera shoots I edit where the picture from one is so drastically different from the other! The extra batteries (after market) for the Sony are inexpensive but do not forget to buy a good variable light (Frezzi mini fill, NRG) and a good wireless mic.
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 01:26PM) Tom Stitzer
So far, thanks for the suggestions. I'm really liking the FX 1, and I've found some reviews not too hot on the FX 7. Unfortunately, I can't find the FX 1 for less than 2800-2900 which puts it further out of my range. The Canon looks good, but surely there must be something between the Canon and the FX 1 range?
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 04:43PM) Tom Stitzer
Let me ask you this, being that the FX 1 is going to cost about 3000, is there another camcorder similarly priced that would be better?
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 26, 2008 10:14PM) filmographer
NOT if it has to also be a HD camcorder (HDV) but that really depends on your market and what is acceptable to your customers. The Canon that was suggested earlier is a nice camcorder and may not cause your customers to question the level of equipment used to produce their wedding video. I suggested the FX-1 because USED it SHOULD NOT be going for 3 grand- was only a few hundred more than that new! Also has balanced XLR inputs, HDV (which I hate but it is HD), decent lens and a good feel... for the money especially. And, equally important, is it LOOKS like a professional camcorder to MOST customers eyes. Having said that, are you in a market that is sophisticated and demands (and knows) a truly professional level of equipment to be on your shoulder? Are you charging an amount that demands that you use a 3 chip (1/3" at the very least) camera with balanced inputs? See what I am getting at? Not to be an elitist, but I wouldn't shoot with anything LESS than a HVX 200 in NYC, but in AZ the FX-1 was more than suitable- people want you to work for nothing here!
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 27, 2008 05:53AM) Tom Stitzer
Thanks for the comments! I am actually in Az too. We average about 1000 per wedding, which is pretty much where we want to be. We aren't trying to compete with the bigger videographers that have all total pro equipment and fully trained staffs. It's just me and my wife and occasionally a videographer friend (if needed). I do the editing myself while my wife does the business end. Our goal is to have 2-3 weddings a month as supplemental income (or in today's economy, just to get by with one kid and one on the way).

I would love to get the FX1 but I can't find it for cheap. Even on eBay it was 2800 I think, and then we were concerned that there could be a problem with the camera with no recourse left. Craigslist turns up nada, and Google shows things up in the 2800-3000 range, Sony's site shows up on Google as having refurbished ones for about 2000, but on the actual page they're out of stock. One site, 1wayphoto I think was the name, had a deal TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. And after checking reviews, it was too good. Very bad reviews for their site.

I would get the Canon, but we felt like we should be using something that LOOKS pro, like you said. We're not trying to compete with the bigger videographer companies here, like I said, but we would like to have equipment that looks better than what "Uncle Bob" might use, you know?

So it appears that we're at a loss. I can't find the FX1 at the moment for 2000 so I'll just have to keep checking and hope either Sony gets it in stock again (which is probably unlikely right?) or it appears elsewhere online. I'll keep looking and if I find something in the price range that looks close to the Sony FX 1, I'll post here and see if anyone has had any experience with it or thoughts about it.

Thanks for your help,
Tom
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 27, 2008 12:25PM) filmographer
There are other options if you want to continue to shoot in SD... in my opinion unless you intend to edit, author and deliver in HD (via Blu Ray of course) there is no point in shooting in HDV (in the wedding industry) at this time. So look into a good standard def camcorder used (Canon XL 1) that fits into your budget and worry about HD when our target audience in larger numbers has a Blu Ray deck in which to play their HD wedding video.
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 28, 2008 02:00AM) Tom Stitzer
Ya know, I thought of that too but from how I understand it, SD is 720 by 480 which is fine for regular TVs but not for big HD screens which more and more people seem to be getting. So I thought that with HD on the tape, then editing in HD, when mastering down to DVD, it'd look somewhat better than if I used regular SD footage. Would it?

The other thought we had, was if we had HD cameras, we could give our customers a copy of the edited DVD minus menus on a Mini DV tape which they could save and have someone transfer to a Blu-Ray disc in the future. That way, I'd have captured, edited and then transferred back to tape all in HD.

What about this camera? Sony HVR-HD1000U. It gets ok reviews, not super great in low-light but that seems to be typical. Our thought was, maybe get this camera for now so we can start getting HD stuff going, look more like a pro, and then once we start getting more and consistent business, upgrade to the FX1 or a similar camera that is just as good. We were considering the Canon mentioned also, but wanted something that looked more pro.
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (August 28, 2008 11:29AM) John Livings
Hi Tom,

Unless you have a VERY compelling Reason to go HD, You can get far MORE value By getting a DV Camera.

1st choice would be a Sony PD-150, Used Low Hours, Extras $ 1,500.00 + - .Also Mini DV Tapes $ 2.25 each.

2nd (distant) choice would be a Sony VX-2100 or VX-2000, About the same price used.

If you get the Camera And Extras for $1,500.00 each that would leave you $1,000.00 for 1 or 2 used Fluid Head Tripods.(Like Bogen 316, 516, 503...)

Pro tripods can run Upwards of several thousand dollars, And last a LIFETIME.

If you can, Borrow or Rent a PD-150 and try it out. If you are still in school, Run this by your Professor.

Just My Opinions, I may be Wrong. Good Luck with your Choice.

Regards, John
Re: Your camcorder suggestions please... (October 03, 2008 01:42AM) tincus
I agree.
If you are marketing $1000 two camera shoot weddings, it's hard to justify HDV.
I'm sort of in the same prediciment. I use two Sony PD-170's (SD) and charge $1500 - $2000 for weddings...I really would like to replace them with two comparible HDV models, but, to this day I have never had a request to shoot a wedding with HDV.
I can shoot the wedding in wide screen mode, and the customers love it...becides it's hard to find a camera that can point and shoot as easy as the PD-170 (PD-150 is basically the same), and the low light capabilities are untouchable.
Plus I have a Sony DV/DVCAM deck...so that would need to be replaced...crap:)

But that Panny HVX200 does look awesome!
I'm sure alot of people have switched from the PD-170 to an HDV camera in the last couple years, anyone care to tell me what rout they went, and if their happy with it?

Thanks.
-Shane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login