Re: proxy editing

proxy editing (August 26, 2008 08:55AM) vernonvision
just curious if anybody has knowledge of the ability to set up a system for editing with proxy files. for example, let's say I'm digitizing HD or uncompressed SD footage on a system at a post facility, but I want to make an offline cut, or adjust an existing cut, on a laptop while I'm away from the location. We should have the technology to have the system create lo-rez files at the same time as the digitize. then, those lo-rez files(with all the pertinent metadata) could be cut on the laptop. Later, the project could conceivably be updated and reconformed with the edits made on the laptop.

Just curious if anybody has tried anything like this or a similar workflow that would accomplish the same thing.

thanks,

mike
Re: proxy editing (August 26, 2008 09:44AM) ronny courtens
Hi Mike,

This workflow has been in use in many broadcast news editing rooms for years. Final Cut Server is a good example of this technology.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: proxy editing (August 27, 2008 04:27PM) vernonvision
Thanks, Ronny.

this is why I was asking about it. I have not spoken to anyone using FCserver yet, but in the information I can find, it does not come right out and say that you can edit with the proxy files. It says you have access to them, which is not the same thing. If you can actually edit this way, i would think it would be a major selling point and they would be hammering it in their marketing.

mvw
Re: proxy editing (August 28, 2008 02:26AM) ronny courtens
Hi Mike,

While writing this I am editing some low-res ProRes proxies on my laptop, coming from Uncompressed SD footage captured in our Final Cut Server system. As I'm not in Belgium (our home base) right now, I can get any low-bandwith internet connection tonight and upload my project file over the internet to the server in Brussels in only a few minutes. The edit will immediatley be reflected in the online resolution project on the Server. So believe me, this is common practice.

When you capture any kind of footage in FCServer you can tell the system to automatically create ProRes proxies while capturing.Then any editor or journalist can take the project file with the proxies and edit them on any remote system. The reason why Apple is probably not hammering on this feature is that people have always been able to do this when working with Avid Unity systems.

FCServer offers a very streamlined workflow for this kind of job, but you really don't need FCServer to do this at all. You can capture any footage in FCP, then Batch export the captured clips to any low-res QT movie format (tc and metadata will be preserved), edit the proxies anywhere you wish and send the project file back for conforming to online resolution.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: proxy editing (August 28, 2008 05:21AM) vernonvision
Thanks again, Ronny.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain. If I was to do this by using FCP media manager to copy the files and edit with the project remotely, would the proper process for re-conforming the project be to simply reconnect the hi-rez footage to the updated project...or is there a more elegant solution than that?

thanks,

mike
Re: proxy editing (August 28, 2008 05:27AM) ronny courtens
Hi Mike,

No problem, we are here for this.

Yes, it is simply a matter of reconnecting all hi-res assets to your updated low-res project. Just make sure the low-res proxies have exactly the same name as the original clips, this makes automatic reconnecting much easier.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: proxy editing (August 30, 2008 11:59AM) vernonvision
Ronny-

I'm curious as to your take on how well FC Server is delivering on its promise. I have heard nothing from users as far as how well it works, if it's buggy, anything like that. For the price, it seems like a great tool. Just curious to know if there are any issues that lower its stock, in your opinion.

thanks,

mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login