Re: Motion 3 Jitters

Motion 3 Jitters (August 26, 2008 09:11AM) MarkLoPresti
I built a 3D project (720x486 10 bit uncompressed, best quality) comprised of two jpgs and one tiff file. They jitterd horribly during movement across the screen. I had the three pictures (each about 200x300) set up in 3D and rotated them in an overlapped circle pattern facing the camera. They were slightly enlarged, but nothing that I haven't done in the 2D world of FCP. FCP just provided a trouble free picture. The 3D was basically the same move I've used before, but it just had a better look to it.

Anyone know what the trouble is? I've tried everything from changing field rendering order to trying out different codecs.
Re: Motion 3 Jitters (August 26, 2008 10:02AM) ronny courtens
Hi Mark,

First of all it is better not to use jpegs in a video environment. This format is highly compressed and can show many artifacts. But I don't think that's the problem you are having here.

What do you mean by "jittering" ? Do you mean the movement is shakey, or do you mean the actual picture jitters ?

If the movement is shakey mail me an H.264 clip of your project, or even better send the project file with the stills included (Save As + collect media). Hard to tell what the problem is if you can't see the actual issue.

If the picture within each still shows jittering lines, check your original stills and make sure they are 72dpi, or drop a de-interlace filter onto the stills.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Motion 3 Jitters (August 26, 2008 06:03PM) MarkLoPresti
Hi Ronny,

Thanks once again for your reply.

First of all, you were very much on target as we were forced to copy the images from a website, (Can you say cheap client?) with some as small as around 200x150. I will point out though that they weren't blown up to fit the screen. I "sanitized" them in photoshop to improve the quality as best as I could. I'll try saving them as tiffs and make certain they're at 72dpi.

The jitter looks like when you have out of order fields and the images sort of "skip" frames and jump ahead, similar in a way to the strobing effect you get when quickly panning a film camera running at 24fps.

The pictures simply rotate in perspective from off screen right to center and off to the left. They are on different planes to give it simple 3D depth.

Some pics actually "split" horizontally near the bottom with the bottom section out in front. Others do jitter as a double image which definitely says it's a field thing, but I can't find the correct adjustment.

Maybe jittery was not the proper description. When we used an AVID, I remember that After Effects comps had to be rendered a certain way involving field order or you'd get much the same thing.

BTW, I singled out this one because it's the worst, but the other compositions (same basic move; clean white BG) are also terrible and they contain high quality tiffs. And when comps are sitting in still frame, they look pretty good even though it's displaying only one field.

I separately tried de-interlacing as well as flicker filter. As I said though, I tried the same basic move in FCP and it was fine. Both are 720x486 10 bit.

I'll be more than happy to send you a QT if you can find the time to take a look. The QT would run about 150 frames.

ronny courtens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mark,
>
> First of all it is better not to use jpegs in a
> video environment. This format is highly
> compressed and can show many artifacts. But I
> don't think that's the problem you are having
> here.
>
> What do you mean by "jittering" ? Do you mean the
> movement is shakey, or do you mean the actual
> picture jitters ?
>
> If the movement is shakey mail me an H.264 clip of
> your project, or even better send the project file
> with the stills included (Save As + collect
> media). Hard to tell what the problem is if you
> can't see the actual issue.
>
> If the picture within each still shows jittering
> lines, check your original stills and make sure
> they are 72dpi, or drop a de-interlace filter onto
> the stills.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login