APPLE LOOPS UTILITY

APPLE LOOPS UTILITY (August 27, 2008 03:10AM) jrosson
Folks,
Just getting used to the wonderful amount of sound effex and loops afforded by this app.
New to the learning... and having an issue importing loops into fcp.
When we listen inside the Loops utility, and save in a certain key & tempo, then import into fcp, it imports at a 'faster' tempo and not in the key selected.
We're editing w/fcp 5.1.4 and have STP 1.1.
Is our problem that the import needs to go through STPro?
In STP beyond noise reduction; composing music beyond linking a few loops together we've yet to learn.
Is it possible to import these loops from Loops Utility ?
Thank you,
JR
Re: APPLE LOOPS UTILITY (August 27, 2008 08:24AM) ronny courtens
Hi JR,

The great thing about loops is that they adapt their initial key and tempo to the key and tempo you have set for your STP composition. So what you are experiencing is quite normal. STP loops are not audio files in the strict sense of the word.

If you want to use an STP loop in FCP, open it in STP. You don't need the Loops Utility at all, except if you want to create your own loops or modify a loop. You can find any loop you wish right in the STP library. Then you place it in an STP composition and set the key and tempo as you wish. Finally you save the composition as an AIFF 16-Bit 48 KHz audio file (or as a .stap file) and import it in FCP.

STP is WAY beyond noise reduction, it is a very powerful audio sweetening and mastering utility. And composing music is also WAY beyond linking a few loops together. It can take years to master this software, and yet with a little creativity you can create simple but great sounding compositions from the start. That's one of the powers of Apple software.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: APPLE LOOPS UTILITY (August 28, 2008 06:57AM) jrosson
Ronny,
Thank you as usual.
I guess I have some basic questions that would better be answered if I sit down and try to absorb STP step-by-step.
I've not learned it to date -- and have an increasingly pressing need to do so.
Here are a couple really dumb questions I suppose that arise from my trying to create some music yesterday on-the-quick.
First, I couldn't figure how to import the loop into STP, so I imported into FCP and then 'sent' the loop to STP.
Then, inside the STP project, it seems the toolbar indicating key, tempo, etc. dissapeared?
This, altho when I called up a new project the toolbar was clearly there.
I'll be attacking the manual in short order ... as I know there's a wealth of power in this app.
Frankly it feels like FCP did when I first was learning 4 or 5 years ago... but now am grounded there.
Anyway, thank you for your steady contributions to me & others.
JR
Re: APPLE LOOPS UTILITY (August 28, 2008 07:23AM) ronny courtens
Hi JR,

You will find that STP is very easy to start with. It can get very complicated once you delve deep, but that's not your concern right now. The manual is indeed the best place to start with.

If you have done a normal install you will find all loops right within STP by clicking the Search button in the lower right STP window. In the Search window you can select to see All files, Genres, Instruments etc... and then select the kind of loop you wish to use. You can also Search for a certain loop name.

When you click a selected loop it will play in preview. If you wish to use it in your STP project, just drag it onto the multitrack window and it will play in the tempo and tune of your project. Then you can make it longer, add effects etc...

To set the tempo and tune of your project, choose Soundtrack Pro > References and click the Project tab. There you can set the tempo, key and signature before creating your new project.

You can also change the tempo, signature and key of an existing project by clicking the Project tab in the left upper corner.

If you find that something is wrong with your window layout and you don't see certain items anymore, like a toolbar missing etc..., choose Window > Layouts > Standard to restore the default window layout.

Enjoy STP and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: APPLE LOOPS UTILITY (August 29, 2008 01:37AM) jrosson
You are the man.
Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login