Re: Media Vanished - Reconnect Issue

Media Vanished - Reconnect Issue (August 27, 2008 07:30AM) jyd13
I've had issues in the past w/ media going offline and having to reconnect. Usually not an issue except for the time it takes to do the connecting.

This time, though, I'm having a much stranger issue. Been working on this project in FCP 5.1.4 for the last day and a half (doing some roundtripping between it and Soundtrack Pro) and all has been fine. About an hour ago, 79 media files randomly went offline and seem to have completely disappeared from the external drive. They are literally nowhere to be found in any folders and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason which ones or why. They might be whole scenes, pieces of scenes, renamed files, originally named files.

I'm not expecting a solve with this, but would like to know if anyone has ever had the same issue. Everything I'm working on is on a 500mb G-Drive via firewire. Luckily, we have two cloned drives so nothing's been lost . . . except productivity. And we're on a tight deadline. Should I repair via disk utility?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Re: Media Vanished - Reconnect Issue (August 27, 2008 09:08AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Jason,

I would suggest that you run a Disk Utility on both your boot and media drives.

--ken
Re: Media Vanished - Reconnect Issue (August 27, 2008 08:18PM) ronny courtens
Hi Jason,

Ken is right, run Disk Utiliy. Good thing you have backups, though. I recall some major fuzz about media disappearing without any reason in FCP 5.0, but as you are running 5.1.4 this should not be the issue.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Media Vanished - Reconnect Issue (August 28, 2008 03:22AM) David
Just for grins, check the Trash. I once had a project just up and move itself to the Trash...

DD
Re: Media Vanished - Reconnect Issue (September 05, 2008 01:59PM) jyd13
Hi guys. Thanks so much for the feedback. In case you were wondering how it turned out. I did run Disk Utility, but it said the drives were perfectly fine and didn't need to be repaired. Unfortunately, they weren't in the trash either. Luckily, we had the backups so it was nothing more than an extra trip into the production company to re-synch the drives we're using . . . but still, the randomness of which files disappeared has really freaked me out and I'm now making backups of everything!

Thanks again for all your help.
Re: Media Vanished - Reconnect Issue (September 05, 2008 02:19PM) Ken Stone Admin
Well it’s not an urban myth. I do know of a few rare cases.

It is freaky.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login