Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards

offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 28, 2008 12:52AM) ham
Hi I am new p2 cards and offline and online capture.

What is the easiest way to work with p2 card footage once it has been captured at full quality?

We are wanting to capture on p2 and dump to a hard drive at full quality.

At a later stage work offline at low res and then use saved files at full P2 capture quality for export and finishing.

Once all the footage has been captured....what is the easiest method to work with a low quality version of the footage for editing.

What should I set my sequence too for easy low system demand (offline) to get the final edit. any other settings.

Never having worked with p2 and abit confused about easy offline & online if you have first captured a lot of film footage to edit off hard drives at a later stage.

Any and all advise welcome of great ways to edit and work with p2.

Suggested work flow?

Cheers

Ham
Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 28, 2008 07:03AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ham,

What camera and what format, 720 - 1080 (P or i)?

--ken
Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 28, 2008 10:15AM) ham
HI ken

we are thinking ether Panasonic AJ-HPX2100E 1080p or HVZ202 720p

The main issue is we are capturing off the p2 cards and dumping on hard drives to edit later in FCP 6

WE are thinking of editing on a high end macbook pro or mac but want to do it offline so it doesn't tax the system.

How do you work offline with p2 cards when you capture at high quality on the external harddrives?

Hope I am making sence

Workflow, advise. wisdom, pitfalls...much appreciated.

Love the forum feedback you give....awesome

Ham
Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 28, 2008 11:07AM) Ken Stone Admin
What format would you be working in, DVCPRO HD??????

--ken
Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 28, 2008 04:31PM) ham
Hi ken

Not sure the codec we will be working in DVCPRO HD but it will be high end to get the best quality for export for the feature film. P2 is a new medium for me and I am unsure of offline work flow.

How do you work offline with p2 cards when you capture at high quality on the external harddrives?

Cheers

Ham
Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 29, 2008 07:55AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ham,

The reason I ask is that I work with DVCPRO HD 720p and I run it off my standard internal drives or externial firewire drives. I can even get several video streams.

So in this format, or even DVCPRO HD 1080i, there is no need to work in 'low res'.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 31, 2008 12:16PM) ham
Thanks Ken

Are there any formats on P2 you could edit off the external firewire drives?

Just trying to find out where the limit is in quality and data rates.

Any other issues you have had with P2? Anything to be aware of as we edit for a feature film?

Could you edit 1080p off the hard drives on a mac book pro?

What do you export your P2 720p material out as a master export?

We had looked at XD Cam but it was going to be too demanding to edit online.

Any other suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

Ham
Re: offline and online capture and P2 cards (August 31, 2008 12:51PM) Ken Stone Admin
I have run DVCPRO HD 720p and 1080i from firewire hard drives, no problems.

Thyere are othyer P2 formats but I have not worked with the,

There are also Firewire 800 RAIDS for higher bandwidth.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login