Re: Compressor not playing NICE--Please Help

Compressor not playing NICE--Please Help (August 28, 2008 07:37PM) RSP Man
Good morning all,

I have a brand new Mac Pro (three months old!) with the most up to date version of Leopard and Final Cut Studio 2 and 6GB RAM.

When I export a project from FCP using Compressor the project always fails unless it is a very short (few minutes or less) job. Half hour-no go, anything longer-absolutely not. I've tried it with about half a dozen different jobs--same result. I've tossed both the FCP preferences AND the Compressor preferences with no luck. I've repaired permissions--no luck.

One thought. The project itself is located on a 2 TB RAID (two physical 2TB drives configured as a mirrored RAID) could that be the problem? Sometimes the drives--which are also new act buggy. I created the RAID using Apple's disk utility.

Thanks for the assistance--off to BED!

--Daniel
Re: Compressor not playing NICE--Please Help (August 29, 2008 04:05AM) ronny courtens
Hi Daniel,

Working with buggy drives... an editor's nightmare!

You have done every sane thing you can do first (Prefs and Permissions). Now you could just try to take any long video file that is NOT on your RAID and bring this file into Compressor and start a conversion job.

- If this doesn't work either, get back here.

- If this works, there's nothing wrong with Compressor. In this case there are two possible issues: either your RAID does not work or you are trying to send a long FCP project from the FCP timeline to Compressor. This is not a good idea. It is better to export your timeline to a QT movie and bring this movie into Compressor. Much faster and more reliable.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Compressor not playing NICE--Please Help (August 29, 2008 07:49AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Daniel,

Try this. Export your movie from FCP this way.

File > Export > QT (Not with Conversion). Make Self Contained, Use Current Settings, Do Not Recompress all frames.

Drop the QT export into Compressor.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login