Re: Field problem with stills???????

Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 05:50AM) Digilux
Hello,

i'am a bit in stress because i can not find the problem wich causes this and project needs to be finished monday.
Ik work with XD Cam, imported with xd cam transfer, codec is IMX 50mps I work with fcp 6.04 and choose to let FCP automaticly adjust the seq codec. After check it all looks fine to me, field dominance etc. But the problem is when a still is placed over the xdcam matt the transition (no effect aplied) looks like a small flash frame. It looks like FCP is adjusting the fields. The stills are png format and psd format. I cannot find the failure, if anyone could help it woul be very much appreciaded.

Thanx!!!,
Ronald
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 06:42AM) ronny courtens
Hi Ronald,

First check your render settings. Choose Sequence > Render All and make sure ALL render options are checked, including the Full (dark green) option. Then press ALT+R to do a full render of your timeline and check if you still get the flashes.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 06:56AM) Digilux
Sorry for not mentioning, problem stays after renders.........

Hope you habe any other clue....

Thanx,
Ronald
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 07:01AM) ronny courtens
No problem, but can you first confirm that you have checked the render options and that ALL options are selected ?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 07:12AM) Digilux
Yes indeed........ all are checked.

I also tried the following, selecting all the clips (xd cam 422 and the stills) send to motion, save and render. No change.......

I have been working for yeras with FCP but normaly working on Avid. Never seen a iseu like this on avid.....

Thanx for yor help!!!!!
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 07:20AM) Digilux
I'a, working with a bit bit of a budget set-up. My external video goes trough a small fire wire dv cam. All the time a sespected this to be the problem. The dissapointment was when a burnded a dvd with compresser and DVD studiopro the problem still appears showing on a normal pal monitor........

Thanx for any help!!!
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 07:22AM) ronny courtens
I have worked on Avid for many years, never have seen this issue on FCP either. Let's eliminate all probable causes one by one.

Do you see this problem on every still that you have placed over the footage or is it just on some of he stills ?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 07:31AM) Digilux
The problem occurs on alle the edit's where there is a change between non-interlaced and interlaced. The problem shows more when the still is more brighter. I have some aniamtion quiktime wich came from After effects which have the same problem, but not so serious. This could be because this is al darker matterial. Anyhow, the problem is not at all visable on my cinema displays, which seems logick because there'e no display of fields there.

Thanks for the help!
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 07:39AM) ronny courtens
Okay, this indeed seems to be a field dominance issue. First of all set your Canvas viewer to 100%, not "Fit to window". This will give you an interlaced rendering of your timeline.

Then try this: go to a cut where the problem is very clear, then select Effects > Video Filters > Video and drag the Shift Fields filter onto the non-interlaced clip (still or AE comp). Then render and see if the problem still shows.

If the problem still shows, double-click the clip to open it in the Viewer, click the Filter tab and change the Shift Direction of the Shift Fields filter to the opposite value. Render again and see if it works.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 07:58AM) Digilux
Thanx for these advices, new knowledge for me. At 100% the problem thoes not show, on output monitor it als does not show when viewed frame by frame. When played, especially with light eareas it shows. I'am wondering, my client monitor is a brand new phillips LCD, the crt yust got broken........ Could the problem be a combination of both FCP and the interlaced/ non interlaced and the refresh rate of the Phillips lcd?

Thank you so much fo the help,

edit (romeved the link)

I will go to a other set on monday to see the effect on a proffesional monitor.

THANX!!!!!

Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 08:40AM) ronny courtens
Hi Ronald,

I have some good news for you. I happen to be at the studio in Brussels doing a late-night job and I have just checked the project you have sent me on a PAL grade1 reference monitor: everything looks great, no problems at all. I have checked the cut on a hardware scope and there is no shift whatsoever between the footage and the still. Your still, however, is much too bright (over 120% white, so that's too much).

As there is a huge luminance difference between your recorded footage and the luminance of the still your LCD might show a flash on the cuts. LCD monitors are no good for quality monitoring, unless you feed them with specialized hardware like the Matrox. And still then they don't come close to a decent broadcast CRT. But as I said, the stills are too white anyway and this can give you problems.

So I would suggest you first bring the luminance of the stills down. Choose View > Range Check > Excess Luma, then drop the 3-way color corrector on the stills and bring the whites down until you get a green checkmark for your luminance. This will already look much better on the cuts. Then you can further improve the transitions by using dissolves between the video and the stills.

I have just tried it in your test project and it looks much better that way. Your end product will probably be shown on LCD or Plasma or the likes anyhow, so you 'd better avoid any problems in your edit.

Groetjes uit Brussel

Ronny
Re: Field problem with stills??????? (August 29, 2008 09:06AM) Digilux
Wouw, very coulp help!!!

Thanx!!

I' have tried dissolves which did not help, but this is offcourse very logical of the problem is in the luminance.

Thanx!

I know a LCD is not great for editing, i will look for a other client monitor. Also will look for a prober break out. Anyhow, i know how to deal with this problem now!

Thanx!!
Ronald
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login