Re: Qt songs into aiff files?

transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 07:00AM) julie
Hello Ken,
Iam not aware of how to transfer my fcp mov to external drive and my computer says its gonna take 44hrs that isabsurd I have always made qt mov and they were at te least 2hrs whats going on I checked to see how much memory I have on Hd and I have 22 gb so what can I do and how dod I do it?

jewels
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 11:45AM) David Harbsmeier
How are you transferring? A simple drag-n-drop? Or are you exporting to the drive from FCP? If that's the case, what format is the Sequence and what format is the export? Was the Sequence fully rendered prior to exporting? Of course, I'm having to ask all these questions because you really haven't told us anything about what you're actually doing. Please detail your workflow.

-DH
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 12:27PM) julie
I am exporting from fcp to qt.mov - export to qt.mov - the entire fcp mov is entirely rendered. As far as you asking these questions I am sorry! But all I want to know is I now have an external drive where I can transfer my fcp mov to the external drive I just dont know what steps to take so this on my end is very confusing and I am a hands on learner not fully understanding questions thrown at me about my decisions? My first step was to save the fcp mov to my desktop with music and from what you are telling me I guess I can drop it into my external drive... so here are your answers it was fully rendered (fcp) and fcp mov saved on my desktop now AI need to know what to de in order for me to transfer to my external drive hope this helps

jewels
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 12:41PM) David Harbsmeier
Technically speaking, if you're exporting from FCP you aren't transferring ... you're exporting. So now that we know that, we have a basis of understanding of what you're doing. First check to see how the drive is formatted; it should be "Mac OS Extended." If not, that could be part of the original problem.

Since you've now exported to your desktop (boot drive), you should be able to copy the file to any other drive or volume by dragging it onto the icon of the other drive/volume.

-DH
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 02:38PM) julie
Hi again - I went to sequence to check on the "mac os extended" and cannot for some reason click on it because it is not highlighted? Unless there is another way to check? David I get the distinct impression that when you speak to me you are a bit patronizing - My main problem is not in using incorrect words, it is in understanding what I can do with my problem and resolving it. I have had your help many times in the past and feel I can use a little more instruction instead of defaulting my language of fcp - I too am aware of the difference between tranferring and exporting. I graduated in 2003 in film ad video communications and have been freelancing and maybe it is time for me to simply take a refresher course.... Again I cannot locate "Mac Os extended' my brain is mush by now since I was on deadline and now have surpassed that.

Thanks Dave
Jewels
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 03:08PM) Ken Stone Admin
"Mac OS Extended" is a setting found in the Erase tab of Disk Utility.

You can also disable Journaling in Disk Utility, by selecting the drive, then while holding down the Option key, click on the File menu > Disable Journaling.

--ken
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 03:23PM) David Harbsmeier
> I get the distinct impression that when you speak to me you are a bit patronizing - My main problem is not in using incorrect words, it is in understanding what I can do with my problem and resolving it.

I'm surprised you find my responses condescending ... they aren't intended that way. I do have to disagree with you though; trying to have a conversation about technical issues online is often a difficult thing to do. The poster is obviously having a problem and is probably at the point of becoming frustrated trying to figure it out. They post their question here, but often don't stop to think that we haven't been there with them all along and don't know what their system is, what the format of the video they're working with is, what they've already tried to do to fix the problem ... or any other details. So we often have to ask a lot of questions in order to offer valid suggestions - which can get frustrating for us.

It helps when the poster includes:
• their system specs
• the versions of the software they're working with (OS, QT FCP, etc)
• what the exact problem is and what they where attempting to do when it happened
• what they've done so far to try and resolve the problem

For many problems that still won't be enough info but it does give us a good start. And it really helps if the poster uses the correct terminology so we can actually understand what they're saying. You're right, using the wrong terms isn't the main problem ... but it does decrease the likeness of getting a correct solution in a timely and concise manner.

For example, a recent poster asked; "When I try to import footage into my project, it doesn't work. What should I do to make it work?"

After having to ask a series of questions to determine what the poster is working with and what he was doing, I find out he's actually trying to CAPTURE from his camcorder- not IMPORT. But he assumed they were the same thing and they're not. Different processes entirely and different possible solutions. So a lot of time was wasted on both ends just try to interpret what he meant. This wasted time frustrated him even more and as you can imagine, it takes a lot of patience to help some people. They just want an answer, period. Those people I usually have to write off as unhelpable (not a real word) and hopefully, someone else will come along with more patience than me.

At other times I've seen the following terms used for capturing: uploading, downloading, copying, transferring and importing. All of those terms have their own legitimate meaning in regard to FCP, but none of them are correct except "capturing" when one is talking about getting footage from tape to computer. And that's just one term. You can imagine the confusion that's created when people don't use the proper terminology when attempting to describe their problem. Some terms used in FCP are different than other NLEs so it can get even more confusing at times.

Keep in mind that the people that post responses here and on other forums aren't getting paid for our time and expertise ... we're merely working editors with a desire to help others learn.

To help familiarize one's self with the correct terminology, there's a glossary in the FCP manual.

OK. Back to your problem. Did the drag and drop copy method work (from your desktop to the other drive)?

To find the formatting of the drive you're trying to copy to, right-click on the drive and select "Get Info" from the contextual menu. When the Info window opens, you should see the formatting type. It should be "Mac OS Extended." If it isn't formatted properly, it can cause problems when attempting to write large files to the drive.

-DH

Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 03:48PM) John Livings
Hi David,

You have responded to many of my posts, And I hope you continue to do so.

You and the other pros suggestions have been invaluable to me. ( keep in mind when you answer, You my be answering Hundreds,If not more people that have the same issues .

Your Posts are greatly appreciated by me and I am sure Hundreds of others.

Thank You, John
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 29, 2008 04:01PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi David,

Well said.

--ken
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (September 02, 2008 06:12AM) julie
Hi john,
Whats your point here? - I was in a rutt and needed to know a few answers from Dave and YES,I am also aware that he has been a great support- I didnt quite get your input through all this, but when I was in a fog at the time giving him my personal opinion, I surely did not need someone like you stepping in with your remarks of good character!

Jewels
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (September 02, 2008 06:07AM) julie
Hi dave,
I thank you so much for yopur patience and time to tell me what I needed to understand- I am sorry that i took this personal and know that youhave been here giving me great advice all along. I will form now on keep in mind what exactly I am trying to say so that Idont confuse you or myself. And yes , you said what you needed to say in the most respectful way and I thank you for that. ( lessons learned again ") )

thanks Dave :)

jewels
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (September 02, 2008 06:44AM) julie
Hi Dave
I have now moved my or trnsferred my fcp mov to my external drive. You and Ken keep asking me to locate the "mac OS extended" I cannot seem to fing it? I went into my external drive right clicked to see what may be the format and it read. It says underneath words open with: final cut pro default there is no mac Os extended?" Sorry but I am totally connfussed as to find this Mac os extended for some reason? can I get you help once again? Ken even gave me a few options but I cannot find them. ( disable jounaling? I have not concept ehat that is or where) I am frustrated.

jewels
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 30, 2008 03:56AM) Tom George
Jewels,

After reading all the posts to your question I went back to your original post and you said the computer told you it would take 44 hours to make the transfer. Knowing that you were and maybe still are trying to get something done quickly you probably, and I mean probably, didn't give the computer enough time to give you the real transfer time from your Mac to your external. For whatever technical reasons a lot of the time messages are way overstated at first. I find that after wating a few minutes the original stated times are drastically reduced. For instance, when I render my Timeline and it will take only a few minutes to accomplish the render, the time message sometimes states 40 or 50 minutes maybe even an hour or two. A few seconds or a minute later the time drops to only 20 minutes and then to 4 or 5 minutes. I once had a message say it would take 4 DAYS to render (what a shock). After a few minutes it went to 1 day, then 10 hours and finally after about 20 minutes the render time message was about an hour.

So, if this is your situation then you might want to wait a little longer after the original message and see if the time drastically reduces to something more reasonable.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (August 30, 2008 04:05PM) Hauffen
Good point, Tom! I've seen it all the time and I'm happy that my Mac is not always right, for once.

David, I second your explanation to Jewels. You'd have to see what I go through sometimes as a Mod in the Spanish side of LAFCPUG. Many of our posters make up their own terminology in Spanish!, instead of providing the FCP terms about their problems. So, if you think it's not always easy to help fluent English speakers, like Jewels, can you imagine what is like trying to help our fellow Spanish-speaking FPC users?
We all need a lot of paciencia (patience); right, Ken?
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (September 01, 2008 05:54AM) Kevin Monahan
Re: transfer my fcp proj to external drive/ (September 02, 2008 06:03AM) julie
thank you :)
Jewels
Qt songs into aiff files? (September 02, 2008 09:53AM) julie
Hi Ken I made a mistake I need to know exactly how to do this sorry :( I also posted and said I dont have QT pro I have Qt 7.2 ( which is actually qt pro!

Jewels
Re: Qt songs into aiff files? (September 02, 2008 10:28AM) Ken Stone Admin
Just select the hard drive on your desktop and do 'command i' from the keyboard. The get info window will tell you the format.

--ken
Re: Qt songs into aiff files? (September 02, 2008 11:07AM) julie
Ken it tells me its a mpeg 4 audio file ( m4p) now i just clicked on open with qt now what?

Jewels
Re: Qt songs into aiff files? (September 02, 2008 11:20AM) julie
Hi when you get a chnce all I am saying is I am not getting the directions you are sending me i clicked on info and its says I have a mp4 music file and i know that then it gives me an option " open with qt player, comresser, itunes, fcp or other?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login