Re: Canon XL1 &2 Cam's; Tips for capture and layback to video

Canon XL1 &2 Cam's; Tips for capture and layback to video (August 30, 2008 03:18AM) jefff
I would really like to hear from users familiar with the set-up to capture from a canon XL2 camera as well as the set-up for layback to video using the same camera. The footage was shot in 16:9 - 60i frame rate - 16 bit chnl 1 and 2 audio - 48K sampe rate. It was a two camera shoot using both the XL1 and XL2 - it's the XL2 that I have my hands on to caputre from.

I'm using a firewire connector to my mac.

1) can i machine control the camera from the computer and are there any camera settings that i need to attend to to do this?

2) what would the appropriate settings be in FCP 4.5 HD for capture?

3) to record the finished edit back to the camera (via firewire) to produce a master...... are there camera settings that i need to consider and what would they be?

Thanks again for your help here. I usually use a PD170 Sony for my own work and have no issues there but i am aware that footage shot with these canon cameras have specific issues where capture is concerned and that i would not be able to load from my PD170 so I have the XL2 for the weekend to work this stuff out and would really appreciate any input from anyone familiar with the specific process.

jefff

- G5 dual 2.5
- OS X - 10.3.5
- 2.5 GB Ram
- QuickTime Player 6.5.1
- Final Cut Pro HD 4.5
Re: Canon XL1 &2 Cam's; Tips for capture and layback to video (August 30, 2008 05:12AM) David Harbsmeier
The 60i you stated isn't frames ... that's 60 interlaced FIELDS ... the camera actually records at 29.97fps in drop frame mode.

For capturing, since it's a Canon device, in FCP set Device Control to 'Firewire Basic' (NTSC or PAL depending on the camera's capabilities and your region).

To output the finished Sequence to tape, make sure it's fully rendered and the camera is set to VTR mode and DV input. Press record on the camera and hit the Space Bar in FCP to play. Or you can use the Print to Video option.

-DH
Re: Canon XL1 &2 Cam's; Tips for capture and layback to video (September 01, 2008 04:03AM) jefff
thanks. managed to get it all figured out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login