NTSC to PAL

NTSC to PAL (August 30, 2008 04:33PM) Antony
Hi Ken,
Can I convert mini DV recordings from NTSC to PAL in order to make the footage compatable to other recordings and compatable to my FCPro settings? Other tapes are in PAL and that's what I'm editing as.
Regards.
Antony.
Re: NTSC to PAL (August 30, 2008 04:58PM) David Harbsmeier
Re: NTSC to PAL (August 30, 2008 06:01PM) Antony
thanks David.
until next time.
antony.
Re: NTSC to PAL (August 31, 2008 11:26PM) Antony
Hi David,
I've downloaded a demo version of the natress converter and it seems to be in my FCP3 filters. But how do I get the NTSC video into my FCP3 so I can apply the converter filter? According to the video tutorial at natress.com, i'm to go to 'settings>easy set up>anomorphic'. I don't have that option. All i have is PAL or NTSC. So I choose NTSC, proceed with 'Log 'n Capture', but I get no video coming through. The tape's playing and i can see and hear it on the camera, but nothing on the FCP3 viewer. Any ideas? I have contacted graeme @ natress.com with the same question...I'll take all the help i can get on this one!
kind regards.
av
Re: NTSC to PAL (August 31, 2008 11:58PM) David Harbsmeier
Wow ... a lot of information there that wasn't in your original question.

First off, please list your system specs and OS and QT versions. Next, what type of camera and what format the video is and how it's connected to your Mac.

-DH
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 01, 2008 06:47PM) Antony
HI David,
I'm on an OS X 10.4.11,
QT 7.5.
The video footage was recorded on a Sony Z1, and recorded in NTSC.
I don't have that camera to import with. I playback the video on my sony dcr-hc32e handycam and it plays fine on it's screen. The display data on the camera's screen indicates it's NTSC footage. That explained why it wouldn't import in my FCPro3 project.
Gee I hope you can help.
Regards.
Antony.
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 01, 2008 10:13PM) David Harbsmeier
>>how do I get the NTSC video into my FCP3 / I'm on an OS X 10.4.11, QT 7.5.<<

FCP 3 isn't compatible with QT 7.5 ... nor is it compatible with ANY version of OS 10.4.

>>The display data on the camera's screen indicates it's NTSC footage. That explained why it wouldn't import in my FCPro3 project.<<

The Sony Z1 records in both DV and HDV formats. The NTSC indicates that it was recorded in DV mode. Had it been recorded in HDV mode, that would be another reason it won't work with your set up. FCP 5.0 was the first version of FCP to be able to handle the HDV format.

If you had FCP 3 installed on the proper system software and QT version, it should capture NTSC DV footage just fine. But it looks like it's time for a major upgrade of FCP for you.

-DH
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 02, 2008 11:22AM) Antony
Hi David,

>>FCP 3 isn't compatible with QT 7.5 ... nor is it compatible with ANY version of OS 10.4<<

So how am i working in FCP3? on my OS 10.4?

>>If you had FCP 3 installed on the proper system software and QT version, it should capture NTSC DV footage just fine. But it looks like it's time for a major upgrade of FCP for you. <<

I'm capturing PAL DV just fine in my FCP3 OS 10.4. Why should NTSC refuse to import when I change the import preferences?
If i upgrade FCP , on my existing system, will it help/solve the problem?

>>The Sony Z1 records in both DV and HDV formats. The NTSC indicates that it was recorded in DV mode. Had it been recorded in HDV mode, that would be another reason it won't work with your set up. FCP 5.0 was the first version of FCP to be able to handle the HDV format<<

I'm working in DV. I did ensure the Z1 recorded in DV, not HDV, because my other cameras film in DV.
My other cameras are also set to record PAL as is the standard in this part of the world, but neglected to consider this one hired camera's preferences set to NTSC.
So some of my DV tapes are in NTSC mode.

regards.
av
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 01, 2008 02:20AM) andyfield
Nattress has a detailed video tutorial on his site on how to do it -- if you are using Final Cut 3 then the Smithsonian wants to talk with you to get a copy for it's antique collection -

FCP3 was, what 5 versions ago? It may not have the anamorphic settings - but I am fairly certain you don't need to do anything with anamorphic settings.- his demonstration on line only chose PAL anamorphic because that was what his original footage was -- if you have regular DV NTSC Video - then choose a PAL NTSC Easy Set Up...we used the NTSC to PAL conversion on a documentary in Africa and it worked great - if I recall right, you have to nest your footage and then apply the filter..... Watch the video tutorial on line - or you may need to upgrade to a more current FCP version. Best Andy

Re: NTSC to PAL (September 03, 2008 01:45AM) Antony
ok,
so I've upgraded to FCP5.1...on my OSX 10.4.11...with QT 7.5.
I still cannot import DV NTSC footage. Yes, settings were set.
DV PAL imports fine...on PAL settings.
Am I right in understanding that I must firstly import the DV NTSC footage before I can convert it to PAL?
I've downloaded a natress converter demo, and it's sitting in my FCP.
I've seen the video tutorial.
I just need the NTSC footage to convert.
Any ideas on how to get it in there?
regards.
av
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 03, 2008 01:59AM) andyfield
Antony - not sure what you are asking -- you keep saying IMPORT the footage as if it's already on your machine. It sounds like it's still on tape and you want to bring it into your machine.

-- if your video is DV NTSC - pull down the Easy Set up that matches your footage (DV NTSC) go to log an capture -- make sure it's seeing your firewire drive - put in and out points for the video and capture

If this is NOT working (it doesn't see your machine) than you either have a firewire connection problem - a deck problem or preference problem and must trash your preferences

YES you must import your footage exactly the way it is IF IT"S PAL - choose PAL -- if it's shot as DV NTSC - that's the way you must bring it in

UNLESS you have an AJA or blackmagic board that converts through the board

ONCE it's in your system THEN convert to PAL with the Natress filter
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 03, 2008 06:45PM) Antony
Yes, my footage is on the tape.
And yes, I'm trying to get it into the project in order to convert it to PAL.

I have viewed the Natress tut on converting and it's fine. I get it. And it works... But yes, I just need to get the footage into FCP/the computer.

My firewire is in working order because I am able to import in PAL mode just fine.

But when I change the EASY SETUP to DV NTSC, it will not import....eventhough the mac / FCP still recognises the camera/firewire.
In LOG N CAPTURE viewer, the counter clicks over as I play the DV tape. The wavemonitor in LOG N CAPTURE indicates a recognition of the audio, but i cannot see nor hear anything.
The viewer says PREVIEW DISABLED, with its coloured bars.

By pressing CAPTURE NOW , i get a black screen ...where the footage being imported should be seen.

I deleted the preferences folder and still, nothing but the same problems as above continuing.

This is the same for FCP3 & 5.

Any ideas?
regards.
av
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 03, 2008 10:14PM) David Harbsmeier
You can capture OK with PAL footage, but not NTSC footage ... that leads me to wonder if your playback device is NTSC capable.

-DH
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 03, 2008 10:35PM) Antony
But I can play the NTSC DV tape on my playback device. A sony dcr-hc32e handycam.
The NTSC playback is fine. Audio and all!
It's just when it comes to importing it cannot be seen on the Log and Capture viewer.
I'm sure it's NTSC footage on the tape because the camera's display screen has 'ntsc' written in the corner.
av
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 03, 2008 11:38PM) Alexander
The old Sony trap.
Sony will playback the opposite format to what it is designated, BUT you cannot capture it.
Enough said?

Cheers
Alexander
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 04, 2008 11:47AM) Antony
Sorry Alexander,
what do you mean?
I don't understand what you're saying. <<Sony will playback the opposite format to what it is designated>>?
Could you please explain?
much appreciated.
av
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 04, 2008 04:52PM) Alexander
Antony Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry Alexander,
> what do you mean?
> I don't understand what you're saying. <Sony will playback the opposite format to what it is designated>?
> Could you please explain?
> much appreciated.
> av

You can capture PAL from this Sony dcr-hc32e handycam, and it will playback NTSC tapes but you can't capture NTSC
from it, right?
The "e" in dcr-hc32e tells me this is a PAL device, and the behavior you are describing is unique to Sony Cameras.
Hence Sony will playback the opposite format to what it is designated as.
Hope that clears it up for you.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: NTSC to PAL (September 04, 2008 06:18PM) Antony
That would explain it.
I did try importing with another camera...which also has an 'e' in its title...and that too failed to import.
Thanks for your help. Now I can get on with the business of converting the tapes...or finding another camera.
Whichever proves easier.

Until next time.
av
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login