PANASONIC HDX 900 AND HD WORKFLOW W/FCP

PANASONIC HDX 900 AND HD WORKFLOW W/FCP (August 31, 2008 06:29AM) jrosson
Ken,
After a lot of research re: solid state HD workflow (P2 & XD Cam) I am looking hard at the tape-based Panasonic HDX 900.
Like the camera capability, need hi-def, but appreciate SD capability and tape backup as well.
Do you have any papers on the DVC Pro workflow with this camera?
Also, in a previous post regarding P2, you mentioned working with DVC Pro HD at 720p and 'several streams.' What do you mean by several streams?
And is the workflow with HD (import, editing, output) the same as in standard def, or is there some sort of down and up conversion involved?
Thank you,
JR
Re: PANASONIC HDX 900 AND HD WORKFLOW W/FCP (August 31, 2008 07:00AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi JR,

Sorry, no work flows on the 900, but it should not be all the different from working with other Panasonic cameras.

If you have video on V1, that would be one video stream. Let's say that you add a picture in picture with video on V2 as well. This would be two video streams. Add another picture to picture in picture and you'll have three video streams.

Even on my MBP, with a firewire bus powered, 100 gig, 7200 rpm extermal drive I can get three or more video streams, Impressive. This is with DVCPRO HD 720 p 24pn.

Any type of pull down would use the same process as any other camera when ingesting into FCP. If you shoot at 23.98 in a 29.97 time base then Pull down would be required.

The great thing about 720p 24 pn, is that it shoots in true 23.98 and there is no pull down required.

--ken
Re: PANASONIC HDX 900 AND HD WORKFLOW W/FCP (September 01, 2008 04:34AM) ronny courtens
Hi JR,

Man, you will LOVE this camera! Our national tv uses them so I have had the pleasure to work with HDX900 footage quite often. Even using the standard settings the skin tones are very natural (call it "film-like") and once you start using DRS and Filmlike settings you will be amazed to see all this detail in the highlights that other cams just seem to lose. This makes the real difference between true HD cams and their compact look-alikes. Not wanting to offend anyone, I'm just a maniac when it comes to picture quality. Please get a decent lens for this beauty, it will only make you and your clients happier.

Nothing special to do when editing footage from the HDX. As Ken says, the 100MBps DVCPRO HD codec gives you a wealth of RT at a very high picture quality. Connect your cam, a Panny deck or your FireStore via FireWire to your Mac, log and capture your precious footage and edit away! The BBC Factual Studios have been using these cams together with FCP since 2007, so you can rest assured that the workflow is perfect.

Best wishes,

Ronny

Re: PANASONIC HDX 900 AND HD WORKFLOW W/FCP (September 02, 2008 12:06AM) jrosson
Gentlemen,... thank you both.
Ronny ... am glad to hear you like this camera as well.
If you know lenses, and I surely do not, is there one you would recommend?
Ken, re: 720p 24pn ... what is the advantage of no pulldown ... smoother motion ... no duplicated frames?
Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login