Re: Export to quiktime before compressor

Export to quiktime before compressor (September 01, 2008 06:21AM) Digilux
I have read somewhere (here i think) that with HDV timeline you might be better of thirst exporting to Pro res quiktime file. I'm not fully convinced. I can understand that any gop codec is difficult for a encoder, so this could be a reasons to do this. On the other hand, if ons uses many different files like video, stills (often they are quite good quality) and motion files, it seems to me that you don't want to go on a extra compression round. The other thing is, I'm guite happy the way compressor handles the motion titles in FCP sequence, it seems it always encodes it the best way for DVD, no matter what codec your sequence is in it always re-compresses this to the best possible quality.

My question is if you want the possible image quality in both video and grapighs, what's the best way to go in these three options:

HDV timeline
XD cam 35 Mps timeline
XD cam 50 Mps timeline

Possible options:
Export directly to compressor
Export to quiktime in prores and then go to compresser
Export to Uncompressed (to keep your grapighs sharp) and then go to compressor

Thanx for any advice!!

Ronald
Re: Export to quiktime before compressor (September 01, 2008 11:25AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Export to quiktime before compressor (September 01, 2008 05:09PM) Digilux
Thanx for the advice, i will carfully read the article. But i have two quistions,
1: When working with grapighs, does Pro res HQ works as good as Uncompressed?
2: Working with IMX codecs 35 MPs (XD CAM), i figure the story is the same here?

Thanks a lot!!!

Ronald
Re: Export to quiktime before compressor (September 02, 2008 07:02AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ronald,

Many consider ProRes 422 (HQ) to be very close to uncompressed but with a much smaller bandwidth.

--ken
Re: Export to quiktime before compressor (September 02, 2008 05:03PM) Digilux
Thanx Ken,

that sounds promissing. I'll start working with it!

Many thanks!!

Ronald
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login