Re: finding disk utility

finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 07:10AM) julie
Hi dave and Ken,
I clicked and dragged my 7.6 mb disk onto my external drive. I went into utilities on my external drive and yes have located disk utilities. The name and extension reads disk utility.app so now what ? I have a computer that may be a bit missed up but I am working with a mac G4 and should be able to get to disk utilities or atleast understand it. please help I have disk utility bit no where does it read "mac os extended" how do I manage to get it to read this? I do have a extensive large project as well

Thanks Jewels
Re: finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 08:53AM) Mike Davey
What is your ultimate goal here? It's a little unclear?
Re: finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 09:26AM) julie
Hi mike I basically wanted to work with my qt mov on my external drive and wanted to know how to do it Figured it out) Now dave mentioned to me that i need to go to utilities? and make sure I have "mac Os extended" choosen, and i have no clue as to do this and I have a very large project I done in fcp- when I went to utilities I never saw mac Os extended anywhere all I saw from right clicking for info was disk utility.app - do yoou know how I would get to this step and how? You would not understand this message if not explained because dave and Ken have been emailing me about this her subject let me know if you understand now? I beleive thier point was to get me set up correctly in 'mac Os extended " being that I have a large mov file. my final goal is to make sure my fcp mov says "mac Os extended"

Jewels
Re: finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 11:17AM) David Harbsmeier
Julie,

I suggested checking how the destination drive was formatted, as your movie export time seemed exceedingly long. Sometimes when you export or write a large file to a drive that isn't formatted properly it can cause extra long write times.

To see how the drive in question is formatted, go to your main hard drive's Applications folder and look for the Utilities folder. Inside that is the application named Disk Utility. Double-click it to launch the program. You should see all of the connected hard drives listed on the left hand-side. Highlight the drive needed, then near the bottom of the window, it will show what file format system is used for that drive.

For use on a Mac, drives should be formatted as "Mac OS Extended" and drives that came installed inside your Mac are formatted that way. But when you buy a new drive, either internal or external (Firewire, USB, etc), they usually come formatted for Windows systems as "FAT32" (File Allocation Table - 32 bit). That's where problems can sometimes occur.

If you're still having problems, email me directly. My email address is listed on my profile.

-DH
Re: finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 11:31AM) julie
Hi dave you are too kind. I did what you asked and it is formated mac os extended. Thank you. real quick I was told by Ken tht I could change my itunes AAC to aiff files using qt pro but how and are there directions for this? again thanks for your help I take it that my fcp mov is ok since it is formated correctly :)

Jewels
Re: finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 11:47AM) David Harbsmeier
I'm not aware of QT Pro being able to convert AAC or other music files that contain copy protection (DRM) metedata. As far as I know, it can convert files that do NOT contain the DRM (Digital Rights Management) metadata.

-DH
Re: finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 12:29PM) julie
Hi yeah I am aware of Itunes but ken says that qt pro does and has given me these directions taht I cannot figure out?

Open the audio file in QT Player.

File Menu > Export .

In the "Export" section, set to AIFF.

Click on the Options button. Leave format as Linear PCM, set Rate to 48,000

--ken
Re: finding disk utility (September 02, 2008 04:36PM) Craig Seeman
Does this attached screenshot help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login