Re: Saving FCP 16:9 Project as QT and Keeping 16:9 Aspect Ratio - HELP

Saving FCP 16:9 Project as QT and Keeping 16:9 Aspect Ratio - HELP (September 04, 2008 08:13AM) jefff
I need some advice on how to save a 16:9 FCP project as a QT file and be able to pull that QT file back into a FCP project and keep the aspect ratio as 16:9. I'm fine on the settings from the FCP end of things in terms of Sequece Settings and project settings.....I think it's the original export that I am not doing right.

To save as QT movie I have been doing the following;

>FILE>EXPORT>QT (not with conversion)
- MAKE SELF CONTAINED
- USE CURRENT SETTINGS (which would be Anamorphic 48K)
- do not recompress all frames

The result has been a QT file that when pulled into another FCP project that is all set for 16:9......I get an image that is squeezed down i.e. everything looks wider and does not fill the 16:9 frame.

Would appreciate any help with this.

Jefff

- G5 dual 2.5
- OS X - 10.3.5
- 2.5 GB Ram
- QuickTime Player 6.5.1
- Final Cut Pro HD 4.5

Re: Saving FCP 16:9 Project as QT and Keeping 16:9 Aspect Ratio - HELP (September 04, 2008 12:11PM) Ken Stone Admin
Open you Sequence settings from the menu bar.

In the General tab, is the Anamorphic box checked?

--ken
Re: Saving FCP 16:9 Project as QT and Keeping 16:9 Aspect Ratio - HELP (September 04, 2008 12:29PM) jefff
yes it is ken.
Re: Saving FCP 16:9 Project as QT and Keeping 16:9 Aspect Ratio - HELP (September 04, 2008 12:33PM) Ken Stone Admin
Have you tried unchecking it?

--ken
Re: Saving FCP 16:9 Project as QT and Keeping 16:9 Aspect Ratio - HELP (September 04, 2008 12:41PM) jefff
no i have not
Re: Saving FCP 16:9 Project as QT and Keeping 16:9 Aspect Ratio - THE ANSWER (September 07, 2008 03:00AM) jefff
After much reading and trial and error.....I have come up with the answer to this long and persistant problem. Thouhgt I would share it with anyone who is interested.

- Go ahead and do an export to QT as described in my original post - using QT player you will note that the file looks squeezed (don't worry)
- Import the resultant QT file from the menu FILE>IMPORT>Navigate to where ever you had saved the QT file and select it.
- This will place the file in the project's bin....in the bin's attributes column find "ANAMORPHIC" and note that it will be unchecked i.e. FCP, although it exported a 16:9 export to QT, it no longer recognizes it as such so.......select the anamorphic attribute for the QT import and it will become "checked".....THEN AND ONLY THEN drag it into the Sequence and it will playback in full 16:9.

I have tested this with NTSC reference monitors all the way along and I can assure you that it works.

Jefff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login