Re: Best and smallest QT Codec to archive projects?

Best and smallest QT Codec to archive projects? (September 07, 2008 06:14AM) filmographer
I have run out of HD space with all the projects I have been editing for this one studio. I want to create a QT movie and put it on a DVD to later import into the FCP timeline should I need to make a simple change or two. Before I do this, I of course have waited a long time so the chances of any re-edit are slim. But I simply cannot make a QT movie in the native DV and keep it on my HD because i haven't anymore room. So, I was wondering, is there a QT codec that is a smaller file size that I CAN archive on a standard DVD and, if necessary, import into FCP for a quick change or two?
Re: Best and smallest QT Codec to archive projects? (September 07, 2008 06:34AM) David Harbsmeier
Any other codec than what you edited in will degrade the quality. And once you do that, you won't really have an "archive," will you? Just a reduce quality version of the original. So you'll need to determine which path to take:

Keeping a reduced quality copy of the original file ...

- or -

Adding more hard drive space to accommodate the full quality files.

FWIW, I often purchase bare drives to store client files and use a WiebeTech drive dock to attach it when a re-edit is needed. The cost of the drive is figured into the fees I charge the client.

-DH

Re: Best and smallest QT Codec to archive projects? (September 07, 2008 10:06PM) Mike Davey
Is printing the project back to tape an option?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login