Importing into FCPX

Importing into FCPX (November 23, 2011 12:00PM) Kent
I spoke today with a FCPX tech at Apple. I am trying to upload to YouTube a 8 minute video. If I use the Share/Youtube workflow I get a QuickTime Error:-50.

The tech advised that I use Share/Export Media/Video Codec = H.264 and then use the standard upload to YouTube. The file transcodes but when I play it back the audio is absent after about 1 minute. Good audio the first minute then no audio. The audio is fine in the FCPX project timeline.

In my conversation with the tech he advised that all imported audio needs to go through Itunes. I did not do that. I have taken the FCPX courses of both Steve Martin and Larry Jordan, I just revisited both, and there is no mention of any media going through Itunes. We did that in Legacy FCP. The Final Cut X help doesn't make such reference. He claims my problems are such related.

The tech also advised that still files should be directly imported from, in my case Aperture, and not imported through the Events browser. Final Cut Help, Martin and Jordan make no such reference. The FCPX help lists RAW as a supported format. The still files are RAW.

This project is for a client and I have uploaded it to YouTube three other times for their review, I did delete the previous downloads, with no problems.

I have deleted all the Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finalcut.plist files. The first time there were 50+, now there is only one.

This is my first FCPX project.

Frustrated. perplexed and gobble gobble

Your inputs please

Kent
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 23, 2011 11:27PM) ronny courtens
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 12:43AM) Kent
Thanks Ronny;
I lost the video when I went Share/Export Media.

I have a case number I'll call Tech support tomorrow. My suspicion is that my problem may be hardware. I have 16GB of ram on a 27" iMac and to transcode 8 min. to QT takes almost 30 minutes.

Gobble Gobble & Thanks

Kent
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 12:19AM) ericcosh
Hi Ronny. Great suggestions. I've never had the problem Kent is having with exporting a project to YouTube and I've done quite a few. I'm loving TEN, hate calling it X. LOL. Have a super Turkey Day Ronny,

eric
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 12:35AM) ronny courtens
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 01:55AM) Kent
Thanks again Ronny!!

I store all of my media both stills and movie files in Aperture. If I want 10 seconds from a 2 minutes clip I use Apertures' trim tool and export the 10 second file to my external drive. I transcode ( ProRes 422) on import into FCPX. At some point I go back and Trash the original Aperture file.

Here is a curious observation. The Events browser lists the file type as QuickTime movie and the Codecs as H.264. Is something strange happening with this workflow from Aperture?

Enjoy

Kent
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 12:51AM) ericcosh
Boy Ronny, you got that right. Like you, I still use legacy for a few projects, but I'm changing over more and more all the time to Ten. It's kind of funny the way I'm doing it. I keep all of my 7 stuff on my tower with the multiple displays, and all my Ten stuff on my new IMAC, where I've never opened up 7. My new IMAC is my favorite system now. I have 16gb ram and it just rocks. What I really love about it Ronny is the ease of use and picture quality. I have the 2 thunderbolt I/O's and can't wait to be able to use them when the newer Thunderbolt drives come out. I think that Ken is also going to go that direction. I'm heading back to Israel and Jordan to complete our documentary next April, and all of that is going to be done with Ten. Love the Keyword/Metadata capabilities of Ten. When we got back from our last trip in May with 1/2 TB of footage (both HVX & 7D/60D) it was a bear to label.Now I'll be able to do that while still there. Again, have a great Turkey Day,

warmly,
eric
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 01:19AM) ronny courtens
Kent,

Your test proves what I was suspecting. Your problem has nothing to do with exporting. Like others already have suggested in your other thread, it seems you have corrupted or unsupported media on your timeline. First thing I would do is check all your stills and make sure none of them is CMYK. Stills used in video editing always should be in RGB color mode.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 01:28AM) ronny courtens
Eric,

I have a Promise Thunderbolt RAID system and it just screams combined with FCPX. This feels like the 90's all over again. Bulky machines slowly make place for much smaller, much more efficient and much better editing gear.

And a happy Turkey Day to you as well. Although I must say in Belgium this holiday does not exist. That's why so many turkeys have migrated to our little country. They feel safer here ((-:

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 02:31AM) ronny courtens
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 03:31AM) Kent
Ronny;
The color profile of all of the stills is RGB.

Thanks Again

Kent
Re: Importing into FCPX (November 24, 2011 03:17AM) Kent
Ronny;
Here's my hardware specs:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.53f13
Serial Number (system): W89472TC5PM
Hardware UUID: 4E11D3F6-FDE0-5F7F-8EFD-2601B7F5DD3C
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.53f13
Serial Number (system): W89472TC5PM
Hardware UUID: 4E11D3F6-FDE0-5F7F-8EFD-2601B7F5DD3C
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850

I am using a 1TB Western Digital external drive with FW 800.

This system is in my opinion slow. Rendering, transcoding and general operations in FCPX seem to take forever. I must wait for each operation to finish before moving on. To export this 8 minute video to my desktop took 25 minutes.

I have gone through all clips, each still is a PNG and all movie file types are QuickTime.

The audio problem persists. Normal audio till 1:45 and then nothing. The thumbnail that allows scrubbing in Share/Export Media has audio across it's entirety.

Thanks and Enjoy

Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login