Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7

Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 20, 2011 09:14AM) ProducersGroup
I am trying to log and transfer AVCHD footage that is on a Data DVD into Final Cut Studio 7. When I navigate to the clips via the log and transfer window, the clips are grey-ed out and I am unable to select them. I also get a pop up message saying the format is unsupported during this process. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if perhaps I need a plugin, etc. Thanks as always.

Anthony

PS.....Thanks to all for helping with other issues recently.... . .
Re: Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 20, 2011 10:48AM) David Harbsmeier
With some of the AVCHD variations, FCP requires the entire folder structure to be present in order to Log & Transfer. You may want to try converting the files to your chosen editing codec prior to importing into FCP. MPEG Streamclip or ClipWrap should be able to handle that task.

-DH
Re: Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 21, 2011 05:55AM) cynluv
OK, I have downloaded Steamclip to convert footage to import into my Final Cut 7. The video converts and plays in the Streamclip window fine. How do I save the converted footage to a folder, etc so I can import in into FCP Studio 7. All I see in the streamclip window are video controls (Play, Pause, etc) and the length of footage. I don't see any way to save the newly converted footage anywhere. thanks.

Re: Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 21, 2011 06:00AM) David Harbsmeier
Go to File->Export to QuickTime. In the Export window, use the drop-down list at the top of the window to choose the format you want to use, then enter the settings for the format in the main export window. Note that you can save format/settings to be able to use those settings quickly again.

-DH
Re: Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 21, 2011 08:55AM) cynluv
This is going to sound strange....On my iMac I have no text on top of Streamclip (File-Edit-List-Enigma-Window) where I can click and get the drop down menus..... However, as a test, I downloaded the app on MY PC and I have all text w/drop downs menus. I'm not sure why my iMac version has nothing and I get all the drop downs from the PC version.....Any thoughts. thanks...

C....

Re: Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 21, 2011 08:59AM) David Harbsmeier
On a Mac, the drop-down menus are at the top of the screen for all apps ... not at the top of the window.

-DH
Re: Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 21, 2011 09:34AM) cynluv
OK great...I got it......Thanks.

Now my only question is, there are a lot of settings I can choose from to convert the AVCHD footage to. I never had to do any conversions like this before, so what's best settings to convert to for SD 4:3.....and what's best settings for HD 16:9....Thanks.

Cyn

Re: Cannot Import AVCHD to FCP Studio 7 (December 21, 2011 09:52AM) David Harbsmeier
One of the ProRes codecs should work for either SD or HD, but whatever you choose, make sure it matches your Sequence settings in FCP. Otherwise you'll be faced with a lot of unnecessary rendering.

-DH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login