Out Of memory

Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 10:02AM) phansen
At the end of a project. Ready to render all and export.
Quad, 10.6
FCP 7
16 GIgs

Can't get it to render. On Line forums say delete sequences etc., which makes me nervous.

Media manager can't assist ( see .jpg )

Help Please
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 10:26AM) David Harbsmeier
Don't delete any Sequences!! I don't know where you got that information, but disregard it at completely.

Out of Memory error messages could be generated for a number of reasons. One of the most common is using still image files in the Timeline that are not in RGB Color Mode. FCP works properly only with RGB Color Mode images - not Grayscale, Indexed or CMYK.

Other causes could be a corrupted media or render file, or a lack of free space on your hard drives. All hard drives should have a minimum of 15 to 20% free space available .... especially the boot drive.

It can also be a corrupt project file or user file.

Check to see if all still images are in RGB Color Mode first, then if that doesn't fix the issue, try dumping the render files for that project and render each clip in the Timeline one-at-a-time to see if it's a corrupt media issue. Also check the free space available on all hard drives. If one or more has less than the recommended amount, you'll need to dump some files to make more space. Report back with your findings.

-DH

Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 10:28AM) Ken Stone Admin
To add to what David said, also very large still images will cause this. Check for RGB but also the frame size and 'dpi'.

--ken
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 10:36AM) David Harbsmeier
Good call, Ken. Images larger than 4000x4000 pixels can cause problems like this as well as too many large images in one Sequence.

-DH
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 10:50AM) Jon Chappell
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 11:18AM) phansen
A You Tube Clip ( Ask Larry ) suggests getting rid of clips and sequences you don't need.

Glad I waited for the pros.

o.k. It all makes sense. I have some sleuthing to do. Probably a corrupt file ( or two ). I did not know about RGB issue.
Good to know.

Putting on my Sherlock Cloak and getting to it. Of course this happens at the 99% mark.

Jon. I see an option for running "Corrupt Clip Finder". Never heard of this. Is it third party?

Thanks as always
PH
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 11:36AM) Ken Stone Admin
Yes, Jon is a third party FCP supporter. He has been helping us FCP users for a long time now.

Excellent stuff I might add.

--ken
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 01:18PM) Jon Chappell
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 11:47AM) Joe Redifer
Sometimes I get an out of memory error if I try using too many FX Factory filters or transitions (as in I am applying a filter, messing with it, removing it, trying another, etc etc). I go to render and I get an Out of Memory. Saving and restarting FCP fixes this.
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 12:08PM) David Harbsmeier
Re: Out Of memory (December 27, 2011 01:29PM) phansen
Jon. See Private for purchase querry.

Thanks all. Problem solved. Render complete. It was a combination of a corrupt file or two and some
graphics that were screwy. What threw me was previous renders with the same files were fine.
Moving the project to another system caused the render / memory issue. All good now.
A non profit gig for a New Year's Eve Ball / fundraiser for kids is secure. Your the best!
PH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login