MPEG Streamclip

MPEG Streamclip (September 10, 2008 04:51AM) benvideo
Hi Guys,

i just used MPEG Streamclip for the first time to extract files from a DVD. It worked well (slower that DVDxDV) and the video looked and sounded fine. However when I put it in the sequence I had to render the whole thing. I used the default setting MPEG something; 4 maybe. Is there a setting that doesn't require render as with DVDxDV?

Thanx, BB
Re: MPEG Streamclip (September 10, 2008 06:27AM) Kevin Monahan
Re: MPEG Streamclip (September 10, 2008 06:58AM) benvideo
Hi Kevin,

I apologize for not putting my Mac specs in. I usually do. I'm working now with an Intel iMac running OS 10.5.4 and FCP 5.1.4.

Can I adjust sequence settings in this version of FCP? And how do I know what those settings were for the DVD (from a client) I'm extracting?

BB
Re: MPEG Streamclip (September 10, 2008 10:27AM) David Harbsmeier
>> I used the default setting MPEG something; 4 maybe. Is there a setting that doesn't require render as with DVDxDV?<<

Yes. In addition to what Kevin advised, another way to do it is to use MPEG Streamclip properly. You want the program to convert the DVD's VOB files into an editable format ... preferably one that matches your intended FCP Sequence settings so you won't have to render. The fact that you converted to yet another MPEG format is the reason you had to render in FCP.

For example, if you plan to work in FCP in a DV NTSC Sequence, in MPEG Streamclip, you'd choose the QuickTime DV NTSC settings at full quality at 29.97fps with AIFF audio at 48khz, 16 bit.

-DH
Re: MPEG Streamclip (September 10, 2008 11:22AM) benvideo
That's what I needed to know! Thanx DH,

BB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login