Re: aif

aif (September 10, 2008 07:54AM) Vicki
I just bought a new IMac G5 with Leopard installed, I loaded my FCP 5.l and started a project. Imported an aif file off a CD I made for a client and it will not play in FCP. Is this an iTune problem? It will work on my old computer with Tiger? What do I do?

Thanks
Vicki
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 07:58AM) David
Exactly what happens when you drag the file into the timeline and attempt to play it?

DD
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:02AM) Vicki
you can not hear the voice, only noise.
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:10AM) David
hmmm... ok, let's start at the beginning. If you're getting noise, could it possibly be that that is what the track consists of? In the Browser, double click the track. It will come up in the Viewer. Try to play it from there, observing the Viewer waveforms. Does it play there, or is it just noise?

DD
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:19AM) Vicki
I understand what you are saying, I took the same CD with the voice, copied it to my hard drive on the old computer, imported it into FCP and it played perfectly on the time line. I have two choices with this job. Upgrade FCP to the new version so it will work on the old computer, or re-digitize the video footage into the old computer. I hesitate to upgrade FCP until I understand this problem.

vicki
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:27AM) ronny courtens
Vicky,

If your file plays OK in QT player on your new i-Mac, there is nothing wrong with your file nor with your system. In order to help you find the cause of your problem, you need to do some tests.

The first thing you should do is to put the audio file onto your new i-Mac, import the file in your FCP project and duoble-click the file in the FCP Browser so it opens in your FCP Viewer. Now check if you see the waveform, then play the file in your Viewer and listen if you hear the voice.

Once you have done this test we can proceed to find the problem.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:31AM) David
This is puzzling. However, if you're in a big hurry, here's two quick workarounds: 1) go to your old computer, select the audio clip from the TL, and export as an aiff to your desktop. Copy that to a jumpdrive and import that into FCP. 2) also from your old computer, record that audio back out to tape and import that (L&C) using audio only.

Hope this gets you going...

DD
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:06AM) ronny courtens
Hi Vicky,

1. Have you copied the AIFF file from the CD to your computer first ? Never import audio files that are on a CD, always copy them to your computer first, then import in FCP.

2. If this is not the problem: open the AIFF file with QT player and see if it plays.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:11AM) Vicki
Yes, I copies it to my hard drive first. It will play in QT. I also took the file and made an AIFF file under a different name in QT. Still the same problem on the new computer.
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:16AM) ronny courtens
Do as David has suggested. Open the file in your FCP Viewer. Do you see the waveform ?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 08:50AM) Vicki
the audio file is distorted in the view on the new computer. it is perfect in the old computer.
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 09:01AM) David
Just for grins, bring in another aiff from the disc (drag it to your desktop first) and try that. Let us know what happens.

DD
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 09:09AM) Vicki
OK, I brought in a file from Gene Michael Productions, same problem. I transfered the file that worked on the old computer, same problem.
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 09:23AM) ronny courtens
Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the tests.

1. On your new i-Mac, close FCP and then go your Boot drive > Home > Library > Preferences folder.
2. Open the Preferences folder and locate the file "com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist". Drag this file to your Trash bin. Do not empty the bin.
3. Also in the Preferences folder, locate the sub-folder called Final Cut Pro User Data. Open this sub-folder and drag these three files to the Trash bin:

- Final Cut Pro 6.0 Prefs
- Final Cut Pro Obj Cache
- Final Cut Pro Prof Cache

Do not empty the Trash bin.

4. Now launch FCP, if FCP opens OK you can empty your Trash. Now see if you still have the same problem. If you still have the problem, please report back and we will try something else.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 09:27AM) David
One in FCP, from the Menu bar, choose Sequence>General tab. Your audio settings should be set at 48Khz, and 16 bit.

DD
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 10:14AM) Vicki
Re: aif (September 10, 2008 11:39AM) Alexander
iTunes has got too clunky. Use QuickTime Pro, more logical.

Cheers
Alexander
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login