Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion

Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 06, 2012 11:57AM) Ron
Question.... I understand that the new iMac comes with the Lion operating system.... Can I have both FCPX and my older FCP7 both loaded and operational on the same iMac computer? I would use only one at a time and not try to integrate the programs together.
............ Ron
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 06, 2012 12:37PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ron,

I'm running both FCP 7 and FCP X on my new iMac running Lion. While I'm running X almost exclusively, 7 does run. You can't have both open at the same time.

--ken
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 07, 2012 12:05AM) Ron
thanks Ken; that is good news........ did you have to partition your hard drive to have FCPX on one partition and FCP7 on another partition?
................ Ron
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 07, 2012 04:41AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ron,

Nope, no partitions.

--ken
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 07, 2012 05:17AM) ronny courtens
Hi Ron,

Glad to hear you will get the iMac. Just like Ken I have been running FCP7 and FCP10 successfully together on a Lion machine without partitioning the drive. FCS3, if updated to the latest version, installs on Lion without the need for Rosetta.

However, since we started using FCP10 in production I haven't touched FCS3 anymore and it is not installed on our production machines. I think this is better. If you really still need FCP7 for some reason and you already have it on another computer I would not install it on the iMac. When you make the choice to work with FCP10 just go for it and don't look back. This will make it much easier for you.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 07, 2012 12:55PM) Ron
Ronny and Ken.... thank you both for what appears to be the 'thumbs up' for FCPX. It seems like you guys do mainly editing.... what format of HD material are you working with? I am especially interested to know if either one of you deal with XDCAM HD (optical disc) or XDCAM EX (solid state card)... if so, how well do those formats work for you on FCPX? Another question (hopefully without opening up a can of worms), is how do you output to bluray? kindest regards...... Ron
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 07, 2012 03:30PM) Ken Stone Admin
Ron,

I work a lot with DVCPRO HD 720 24pn. More and more now with XDCAM and H.264.

I have put most every codec imaginable (except red) on the timeline, it all works. I have Optimize turned on but the only codec that gets optimized is H.264.

--ken
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 08, 2012 01:02AM) Kent
Ken;
What are the specs on this new machine and it's peripherals?

Thanks
Kent
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 08, 2012 06:26AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Kent,

27" iMac with the i7 processor. I have 16 gigs of ram and went for the 2 gig monitor card. FCP X and Motion do a lot of their work on the monitor card and will use all the ram you can give it.

--ken
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 08, 2012 02:03PM) Kent
Thanks Ken,
Am I correct in assuming that a monitor card and a graphics card are the same? Which hard drive did you select?

Enjoy

Kent
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 08, 2012 02:23PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Kent,

That is correct. Same thing.

I got the 1 TB drive, in part, because there was a shortage of 2 TB drives and a several week wait. I looked at the SSD but not enough capacity and way too expensive.

--ken
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 09, 2012 12:44AM) Kent
Thanks for the insight.

Kent
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 09, 2012 01:15AM) Kent
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 08, 2012 10:48PM) ronny courtens
I agree with Ken. I have the SSD on one machine and it does make the whole system run a little snappier but as a storage medium it isn't worth its price. The 1TB internal drive will be more than enough for your system files and all non-fcp related media. If the budget allows for this you really should be looking at adding a Thunderbolt external drive to store your FCP10 Events and Projects. It doesn't have to be too large to start with, you can add more drives as your work progresses.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 09, 2012 02:25AM) Kent
Thanks Ronny;
I posted some additional questions above. I would appreciate your opinion.

Kent
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 09, 2012 08:02AM) ronny courtens
Hi Kent,

None of the extra RAM I purchase comes from Apple. I always use Kensington blocks that I purchase via my Apple dealer and am extremely satisfied with these. They are much cheaper than the RAM Apple offers and have the same lifetime warranty. I have no experience with OWC RAM so maybe someone else can chime in here.

I have a Promise Pegasus 12TB Thunderbolt RAID and combined with the 27"iMac and FCP10 this is a top of the shelf editing system. But the Pegasus may be overkill for the kind of work you will do. I also have a LaCie 2TB Thunderbolt and it performs really well. But this drive runs at 5400rpm, and 7200rpm is better for video. In a few weeks LaCie will present its new range of Thunderbolt units that work with 7200rpm drives.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Can I use FCPX and FCP7 on an iMac with Lion (February 09, 2012 08:23AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Ronny,

Other World Computing (OWC) has been around for a very long time and has an excellent reputation.They sell both Ramjet and Cruial ram sticks (both very good) with a lifetime warranty.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login