Re: Clean install FCP: manually erase your System ID

Clean install FCP: manually erase your System ID (September 11, 2008 08:46PM) Jasper
For a clean install of FCP it's almost obligatory to also erase the FCP registration files
FCS remover does not do this.

A while ago I had some issues with my macs and FCP which is almost solved now.
Both machines were up and running but on one Mac FCP was not fully cleanly re-installed.
It just worked - with glitches - that's why I wanted to do a new clean re-install on this machine.

When doctoring the other one during the big problems we found out FCS remover does not erase the serial number registration files.
It was removed by manually finding the file and deleting it.

The FCP Serial Number is housed in the "Final Cut Pro System ID" file
Library > Application Support > ProApps > Final Cut Pro System ID

delete this for a really completely new clean re-install

Jasper

Re: Clean install FCP: manually erase your System ID (September 11, 2008 10:35PM) David Harbsmeier
I have to disagree with your terminology. A "clean install" does remove ALL files from your system, as it involves reformatting the hard drive completely. What you're referring to is a normal upgrade .... there is nothing "clean" about it.

To do an actual CLEAN install:

• Make a bootable clone of your hard drive. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper work well for this task. The clone will serve as a backup.

• With the OS install disc in your DVD drive, restart the Mac while holding down the 'c' key to start up on the install disc.

• Reformat the boot hard drive as "Mac OS Extended" with Journaling on. Reformatting will erase ALL files.

• Install the OS then Repair Permissions.

• Run Software Update to bring the OS up to the latest level release.

• Repair Permissions.

• Install applications, including FCS.

• Repair Permissions after each major install.

• Run Software Update to bring installed software up to the latest version releases.

• Repair Permissions after each update installed.

• Check third party vendor's websites for updates of software ad drivers that you use (Adobe, Aja, Black Magic Design, Matrox, etc).

The entire process will take several hours, but many full-time editors perform a clean install every 6 months to a year just to keep a clean and healthy system - even when there is no need to update software. A "clean install" IS recommended when making major upgrades such as FCS.

-DH
Re: Clean install FCP: manually erase your System ID (September 12, 2008 12:21AM) Jasper
Re: Clean install FCP: manually erase your System ID (September 12, 2008 04:51AM) Ken Stone Admin
HD > Library > App Support > ProApps > FCS Sy7stem ID

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login