Wanted: Some Good Advise :-)

Wanted: Some Good Advise :-) (April 01, 2012 04:35AM) Wise Guy Productions
Re: Wanted: Some Good Advise :-) (April 01, 2012 05:45AM) David Harbsmeier
Here's my advice, but first a little history; I've been a Mac user since '94 and an FCP editor since 2001. I supported myself totally doing video production and editing for over 17 years. It has paid for my home, insurance, medical bills, several vehicles and helped to support a few live-in girlfriends along the way. I am leaving Mac. Apple has demonstrated beyond any doubt to me that they are no longer supporting the market I work in. Their abandonment of pro-apps is more than obvious. They will soon cease selling desktop computers (other than the iMac) which means limited expandability - no more PCI cards, limited ports, etc.

I'm moving to Windows based NLEs, Adobe Production Premium to be specific. Of course, I still have my two Macs and they still work with FCP 6 on one and FCP 7 on the other. I'll probably use them until they die, but moving forward, with new video formats being released all the time, it only makes sense to me to go with the tools that will still support my business.

Your business needs and your clientèle may be different. FCP-X and a MacMini may be just what you need. If so, good luck in your endeavors.

-DH
Re: Wanted: Some Good Advise :-) (April 01, 2012 04:07PM) Craig Seeman
Please don't spread false info regarding MacPro or replacement.
That Apple continues to keep the supply chain open, having not announced EOL for MacPro may mean there's a replacement when they can get the new Xeon chips on motherboard with Thunderbolt from Intel.

While FCPX is not a facility level tool many of us here are full time professionals using FCPX and I suspect, over time, it may yet again be a facility level tool. Consider that Lion and probably Mountain Lion include SAN capabilities. There are people on this forum who are actually already using FCPX at the facility level and for broadcast although FCPX is still very young.
Re: Wanted: Some Good Advise :-) (April 01, 2012 10:14PM) David Harbsmeier
Please don't spread false info regarding FCP-X or its future development. ;-)

Craig, while I appreciate your hopes for the future of pro development at Apple, the OP did ask for advice and I provided mine. It can be heeded or ignored as desired.

My prediction of the demise of Mac desktops is based on Apple's marketing strategy which is moving totally to consumer electronics and iOS apps. Apple also didn't announce the EOL of Final Cut Studio until it was done .... remember? And I'm far from the only person to predict this.

-DH
Re: Wanted: Some Good Advise :-) (April 02, 2012 03:21AM) Craig Seeman
Re: Wanted: Some Good Advise :-) (April 01, 2012 11:55PM) ronny courtens
Re: Wanted: Some Good Advise :-) (April 02, 2012 11:41PM) David Harbsmeier
As much respect I have for you guys, I'll stick with my advice. Yes, my advice does include my opinion about what path to follow based on the evidence available (one's personal advice will almost always include opinion). Please keep in mind that all these things we use (hardware and software) are merely tools. My tool recommendations are obviously not the same as yours and I stated that they may not be so in my first response.

-DH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login