Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac?

new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 13, 2008 08:23PM) gijacklin
Just added a new Western digital external 1TB drive to my system but it will not read on imac? Have old G-4 networked with new imac and can connect with other external hard drives via router via G4. when i first put TB on network could read it from imac too via G4. but it had some software on it - "WD-Anywhere" on it so I dragged and dropped it (didn't delete just saved on different HD) as I wanted a clean hard drive with out anything on it. Since I did that I can't use the "Go" funciton to network to it. I see all the other hard drives attached to the G4 but not the new TB one?

What's weirder is if I directly connect new TB HD to imac it not only won't read but when I restart imac computer it won't even start up. As in it just sits there with a white screen? I've had this problem with other external hard drives on this imac which is why I had to network via G4 and router to make use of my external hard drives. Am I missing something?
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 13, 2008 11:00PM) Alexander
Exactly how is your system set-up, and why did you use that configuration.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 13, 2008 11:16PM) gijacklin
For some reason when I connect my fire wire to any of my external hard drives they don't pick up on my imac. But I saw that they would if I connected to my old G4. So I just used router to connect imac to old G4 to connect to external hard drives.

Right now since adding TB hd again imac won't read it. G4 does. but for some reason imac reads my two other external hard drives and two internal HD's from G4 but not the TB! I don't get it.
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 13, 2008 11:32PM) Alexander
By router do you mean hub?
These are not recommended for fire-wire.
Connect the WD directly to the mac and look in the system profiler.
If the drive is there, use Disk Warrior to rebuild the directory

Cheers
Alexander
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 14, 2008 12:07AM) gijacklin
I think it's called a router. As in I can connect more than one computer together with it. When I connect the new 1 TB directly to my imac and restart it nothing happens. It gets stuck with a white screen. When I unplug the TB HD my imac will then come around.

When I plug the new TB HD to my old G4 it reads but when I try to connect to it from my imac it does not read.
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 16, 2008 07:35PM) Alexander
gijacklin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's called a router. As in I can connect
> more than one computer together with it. When I
> connect the new 1 TB directly to my imac and
> restart it nothing happens. It gets stuck with a
> white screen. When I unplug the TB HD my imac
> will then come around.
>
> When I plug the new TB HD to my old G4 it reads
> but when I try to connect to it from my imac it
> does not read.

??? To me, it's not clear what you are up to.
Are you trying to use FCP on a fire-wire network of drives with a router?
Not predictable, look at FCP Server software if you really need to do this.
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 16, 2008 07:55PM) gijacklin
I figured it out. Just had to format drive from system profiler. Duh. Should have known that but usually external hard drives are just plug and play. At least I got it. Thanks!
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 16, 2008 10:24PM) Alexander
gijacklin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I figured it out. Just had to format drive from
> system profiler. Duh. Should have known that but
> usually external hard drives are just plug and
> play. At least I got it. Thanks!

Good,
I'm sure you meant format in disc utility not system profiler.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: new Western digital external 1TB drive not reading on imac? (September 16, 2008 10:27PM) gijacklin
Double duh. Never admitted to being the sharpest tool in the shed. lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login