Re: 10+ hrs of footage - Best way to export to DVD?

10+ hrs of footage - Best way to export to DVD? (September 15, 2008 03:16PM) DigitalSplice
Hello I am starting a project which has 10+ hours of footage. This was a two day seminar which firstly needs to have all the dead stuff cut out. Hopefully I will end up with around 5 hours of footage for each day. The client wants to review the cut down footage and I was wondering what would be the best way to put this out to DVD using compressor and DVDSP.

Most of my projects are an hour tops which I use presets in compressor for. But with 5 hours, will the longest preset in compressor be able to fit all this footage onto a single DVD? Are there any custom presets out there that I should be using?

Just so theres no confusion, I understand the DVD making process, I am really wondering how I can cram 5 hours of footage onto a single dvd(if possible). Or will I be needing to break it up onto multiple DVD's.

Thanks

-EJ
Re: 10+ hrs of footage - Best way to export to DVD? (September 15, 2008 04:02PM) Ken Stone Admin
If you have the burner for it you can do a dual-layer DVD. Otherwise you can create a few two hour DVDs.

--ken
Re: 10+ hrs of footage - Best way to export to DVD? (September 15, 2008 04:50PM) DigitalSplice
Using an intel macbook pro with superdrive. Do they have the ability to burn dual-layers? Are there any special options I need to enable in DVDSP to use with dual-layer?
Re: 10+ hrs of footage - Best way to export to DVD? (September 15, 2008 04:59PM) Ken Stone Admin
Go to the DVD - Compressor section of this site, links at top of this page.

Look for 'Authoring Dual Layer DVDs in DVD Studio Pro (Movie) - by Steve Martin'

--ken
Re: 10+ hrs of footage - Best way to export to DVD? (September 15, 2008 10:34PM) David Harbsmeier
For providing the client a DVD for review, once you've edited out the obvious dead spots, add the Timecode Reader filter to the remaining clips, then play the Timeline out to a DVD recorder set to the 6 hour mode. Advise your client that this is reduced quality for review only.

Once your client has reviewed the footage and you've made your final edit, if your program is longer than two hours, but under 3.5 hours, you can use a dual layer disc (DVD-9) or create a multi-disc set. If the program is over 3.5 hours, use the multi-disc set approach.

-DH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login