Cameras

Cameras (September 16, 2008 09:48PM) zemayavuela
I'm in the market to get a decent camera in the 3,000 range. So far I'm looking at the Panasonic DVX 100B and the Canon XL2. What are your opinions and recommendations. Is there a Sony model recommended? This my first prosumer camera. Z
Re: Cameras (September 16, 2008 10:39PM) gijacklin
Just went through this not too long ago. I could copy and paste pages of peoples recommendations if you would like but for now I'll just tell you what I went for. Sony HVR-Z7U at $5400.

I know that's higher than what you are hoping to spend but I must say it is everything I was told it would be. Comparable to P2, EX-1 but not near as expensive as you can still use mini DV tapes. As in... if adding on a couple extra P2 or Flash cards which run over $800 each not to mention the lap top to have on site to transfer or an external HD that goes for about $1600 is out of your budget.

And also needs to be noted I've had more than one person tell me they had the P2 and flash cards not record on occasion and had to re-shoot where as a good old mini DV tape never fails and is the ultimate back up! Don't know about you but many times the things I shoot could never be captured again so I will never give up tape! Ever!
Re: Cameras (September 17, 2008 01:47AM) sbeisen
Re: Cameras (September 17, 2008 02:37AM) ericcosh
I want to double what Steve just said. I've had HVX200's since they first came out. When I started all they had were 4gb P2 cards and I produced a 30 HD 720 24PN documentary with just that one card. I've never had any of my P2 cards fail. EVER!!!!
As far as Tape is concerned, the last time I used Tape was 2 years ago.

eric
Re: Cameras (September 17, 2008 03:52AM) dmatkuk
If you are staying SD don't bother with the canon. I've been using one for a while and I can't wait to get rid. When I get the money I'll go Panasonic and do away with tapes. If you do want tapes then maybe look at JVC's ProHD range - I've been mucking about with a GY-HD111E this week and had pretty good results.

Dan
Re: Cameras (September 17, 2008 04:06AM) ericcosh
One other quick thing about the HVX200. If you want to use tape, you can. Now you can't use tape for DVCPRO 50 or DVCPROHD, but you can use tape for SD including either 4x3 or 16x9, and you can record an HD clip that was shot on your P2 card directly into your tape all within the camera for an SD downrez. This is really cool if you want to record say a slow motion clip shot in HD (720P 24PN 60frames) that is going to be used in an SD final clip.
Re: Cameras (September 17, 2008 03:39PM) zemayavuela
Wow! So you can use this camera as an SD or HD as well as tape or P2? Thanks, Zemaya
Re: Cameras (September 18, 2008 06:03AM) johnnyhmn
I remember one autoshow in Chicago by 1990, so beautiful cars, they always say: "concept cars", but thought that by year 2000 we will have a "space technology" everywhere. I even told my kids in 2000 we will have cars flying over the sky, ok, those nice concept cars at least, but NOTHING YET!!!
Now, 2008 and still no nice cheap cameras that use no more tapes, just insert that little hard drive from your cam to your computer without losing time and edit. Still I hear about all the problems with these "new" cams, and people who prefer tapes, (me too). Don't you think this tech world is going to slow?
I know everything is a matter of "business" for a few (like electric cars not on the regular market) but, it would be so nice to have our dreams come true before we die...maybe in other 20 or 30 years?...

Johnny
Re: Cameras (September 18, 2008 06:56PM) filmographer
I own the Panasonic HVX 200A and I have to say that it is AMAZING on every level... LOVE the P2 workflow and the Firestore 100 is also a dream (save for that pesky firewire connection to the camera, but it has it's place). The image is beautiful and the choices seem endless! I have never, EVER, spoken to anyone who has had a P2 fail to record- I have to say I would never go back to a tape workflow.
Re: Cameras (September 19, 2008 07:33AM) Ken Stone Admin
As you probably know, the HVX 200 was my favorite camera, I love the look of DVCPRO HD 720p 24pn.

Your new HVX 200A has a new lens and a new CCD chip so I'm wondering if the video still has the same 'look' as the HVX 200?

Would love to know what you think about the image on the new 200A.

Thanks,

--ken
Re: Cameras (September 19, 2008 08:36AM) ericcosh
Hi Ken:
I can only speak about what I was able to look at last month at WEVA in Orlando. I too love the look of my HVX200's. The new HVX200a is an improvement with regard to noise level and also a brighter image. The 200A gives you approximately 1/2 F stop better low light. Ken, there are so many choices out there now with regard to just Panasonic that it's hard to find the perfect solution. I love the AVCHD format for it's quality and low cost cards, but the sacrifices are HUGE!!!!! files, like a gig a minute.
I also love the new Panasonic 170 that is pretty much identical to the 200A except it doesn't have tape capabilities. For the little difference in price, I'd go for the 200a that does have tape also.

my 2 cents,

eric
Re: Cameras (September 19, 2008 09:14AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Eric,

What I'm concerned about is that with the new lens and chip that the video might somehow look different from the old camera, whos look I love.

--ken
Re: Cameras (September 19, 2008 09:43AM) ericcosh
Good point Ken. I haven't had an opportunity to compare them side by side.

have a super weekend,

eric
Re: Cameras (September 19, 2008 09:48AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Eric,

Please let me know what you think when you get a chance to compare the two.

Thanks,

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login