Re: DV vs HDV-DV downconvert quality

DV vs HDV-DV downconvert quality (September 17, 2008 05:18AM) rustin
I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is any noticeable quality difference between the following 3 workflow approaches. The final master would be a Standard Def DVD:

1) Shooting in HDV and downconverting on capture to DV
2) Shooting in HDV and capturing HDV, rendering in Apple Pro Res, then downconverting to Standard Def DVD
3) Shooting in DV in camera, and of course capturing and editing in DV.

Since the final product is SD anyway, does it make any difference what the original format is?
Re: DV vs HDV-DV downconvert quality (September 17, 2008 05:52AM) ericcosh
Hi Rustin:

Simple rule of thumb is Garbage in Garbage out. Always use the very highest source video you have. If you're shooting HD, then bring your project into FCS in HD and from there do all of your editing in HD. You have several choices when sending it out of FCS. I recommend using Compressor first rather than exporting to QT and then bringing it back into Compressor for many reasons, but the main reason is compression.

Once in Compressor, make all of your choices regarding file sizes, filters, etc... Now when you import it into Studio Pro, you're going to have the very highest quality SD DVD that you can get. Another very interesting point now is I always tell my clients to purchase a DVD player that has HDMI. If they play your SD DVD on that say hooked up to a plasma or LCD HD TV, your footage will really rock! If SD is a 5 and HD is a 10, DVD's played with HDMI is a 7 in my opinion. That's subjective of course.

Eric
Re: DV vs HDV-DV downconvert quality (September 17, 2008 05:54AM) Ken Stone Admin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login