FCP Pro X Crashing When Project Opens

FCP Pro X Crashing When Project Opens (January 02, 2013 03:28PM) mrdirector
I'm using Final Cut Pro X (transitioned from FCP 7 recently) I have this project, huge file, lots of clips (517 mb). Last night it was opening just fine and I pretty much finished it other than having to make a few color corrections. My computer was lagging so I decided to close FCP, perform a Disk Repair, and restart.
Upon restart, my project would not open. I thought maybe final cut was the problem. I emptied my events and projects folder. Final Cut opened...however, when I tried opening the project, I got the beach ball of death and the software wouldn't respond. This led me to believe that my project became corrupted. I tried opening from the backup..but even that was corrupted. I tried emptying the preferences files, still didn't work. I tried clearing all my plugins...still nothing. I've done a lot to try and fix this issue, but the project still has not been able to open. The EVENT itself works just fine and will open, however. So that gave me a little hope.

If you have any advice or some steps I should follow to fix my corrupted file that would be great.

Thanks again.

P.S. I'm editing on FCP 10.0.5, Mac Pro 2009 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16 GB Ram, 1 TB internal HD with an external through Firewire 800. Mac is running Lion 10.7.5.
Re: FCP Pro X Crashing When Project Opens (January 02, 2013 08:33PM) ronny courtens
Re: FCP Pro X Crashing When Project Opens (September 08, 2016 08:53AM) brokervic
I found a solution, as I had a similar issue on Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, OSX 10.10.1. I could open FCP but if I clicked certain projects it would crash.

I tried several methods before finding one that worked. What didn't work:

1) trashing preferences
2) opening project in OSX safe mode
3) highlighting corrupt project with arrows, File > Export XML, Closing FCP, File > Import XML

The 3rd option actually made things worse as it made the project that opens by default corrupt, forcing me to open FCP with no default file present then choosing the library to open.

This is what did work:

First open the library and move the curser with the keyboard over the corrupt project then Duplicate Project as a snapshot (shift command D). Make many copies of this, as it will take many times to get the next instruction to work. It took me a few dozen times before getting the hang of it.

In a non-corrupt project in the same library make an edit (like a transition effect) that forces some render to show in progress, then double click the corrupt project, and QUICKLY click the timeline and select all (command-A) and delete all of the project's clips. If you do it before the program begins to render the clip that is crashing the project, this should cancel the render that was corrupting the opening. Now you can undo the deletion to bring it all back and it won't crash like it did before.

Hopefully this helps someone else, as nothing else online was working for me but this worked on multiple corrupt projects. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login