Re: Compressor: faster/more processors?

Compressor: faster/more processors? (September 27, 2008 08:20AM) Tom Stitzer
A quick question: Would Compressor encode quicker using a newer Mac Pro with Quad Cores as opposed to a G5? I have found some stuff about using multiple Macs as a cluster to perform compression across them, but I'm just wondering whether having a newer mac with a faster, more capable processor would speed things up as well?

As it is, my 1 hour, 19 minute video will finish encoding in about 20 hours which I know is typical, I'm just looking for a way to speed it up.
Re: Compressor: faster/more processors? (September 27, 2008 08:25AM) Ken Stone Admin
My newer MacPros running Intel are much much faster than my old G5. My new MacPro Octo is twice as fast as my MacPro Quadro, which was probably twice as fast as my dual 1.8 G5.

If you are going from a G5 to a new MacPro, you will see large speed benefits.

--ken
Re: Compressor: faster/more processors? (September 27, 2008 10:30AM) Tom Stitzer
Thanks, Ken. I was thinking that was the case.
Re: Compressor: faster/more processors? (September 28, 2008 08:17PM) cosioshi
hi Ken
can you please explain what to cluster other computers means?

thanks, cos
Re: Compressor: faster/more processors? (September 29, 2008 05:04AM) Tom Stitzer
Re: Compressor: faster/more processors? (September 29, 2008 08:46PM) cosioshi
does it have to be mac computers or it can be external hard drives? is there a list where you can select these? I think I remember seeing this a few times.
I always export from one drive to another or from one drive to the mac drive, never use the same drive, for speed purposes.

cps
Re: Compressor: faster/more processors? (September 30, 2008 05:28AM) Tom Stitzer
Yes it has to be a computer. You need an operating system to be running the software you have to install. It needs to be running on all computers that you network together. It's the additional computers that speed up the process.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login