HDV to SD DVD

HDV to SD DVD (September 27, 2008 03:05PM) Abram
Looking for some suggestions please.

I have a small 15min HD video on my FCP timeline. Since about 9am today I have made 4 DVD's, non of which work properly.

The first 2 attempts were done by bringing the timeline directly into Compressor. The third time I followed the Ken Stone white paper "Exporting HDV Video from Timeline to SD DVD". The 4th and most recent attempt was the same as the third with minor changes in the bit rate settings.

The results each time have been consistently the same. I test the DVD out on a basic Panasonic DVD player and a Playstation 3 console. The Panasonic spends an unusual length of time trying to read the disc, ending with an error message "cannot play disc" The PS3 labels the disc as a "Data Disc" with a "HVDVD_TS" subfolder and will not play. The last thing I do is throw the DVD into the Mac and DVD Player immediately opens up and displays the DVD menu flawlessly like any other industry produced DVD.

I am thrilled that my recent made SD DVD's with the video content shot in HD plays wonderfully on my Apple computer. My problem lies in the idea that I would like to produce a master DVD that folks can play on their DVD players at home.

Any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Abram
Re: HDV to SD DVD (September 27, 2008 03:45PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Abram,

What brand and type of blank DVDs are you using, DVD - R, right?

What speed are you burning at?

--ken
Re: HDV to SD DVD (September 27, 2008 03:55PM) Abram
Sony DVD -R

Burning at 8x

Also: I just finished another attempt. This time I took only one section of HD footage off the timeline, through the quicktime Pro res 422 conversion exporting, then into Compressor and finally into DVDSP. When I set to burn in DVDSP an error message came up saying there were HVDVD_TS files in the "Build Location Folder'. It stated that the files must be removed in order to proceed with Build/Format of a Standard DVD project.

Re: HDV to SD DVD (September 27, 2008 06:12PM) sbeisen
Re: HDV to SD DVD (September 28, 2008 02:18AM) Abram
I have been doing a bunch of reading on this, suggestions imply there is a need for me to create a SD timeline in FCP, then drop my HD timeline into it.

I assume exporting the SD timeline containing my HD project will give me what Steve stated I was missing in order to play the DVD on a standard DVD player, which is a Video_TS folder.

Is there another method of ridding myself of the HVDVD_TS folder and replacing it with the needed Video_TS folder other than creating an SD timeline and dropping the HD timeline into it ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login