Re: Transcode DVC Pro HD to match Canon 5D footage?

Transcode DVC Pro HD to match Canon 5D footage? (June 03, 2014 04:29AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I'm in the process of editing footage shot on the Canon 5D Mark III. I'm working in FCP 7. I just shot some inserts on the Panasonic HVX-200A in DVCPro HD 1080 24p since I didn't have access to the 5D. I have been transcoding the 5D footage to Apple ProRes HQ. My question is should I transcode the P2 scenes to ProRes HQ as well since I'm intercutting them with the 5D footage or take them in natively as DVDPro HD?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Transcode DVC Pro HD to match Canon 5D footage? (June 03, 2014 06:57AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

Either way.

As long as your Sequence is set to ProRes HQ, you can drop DVCPRO HD onto the timeline. You'll get render bars above the DVCPRO HD footage. This will work.

My feeling is that if you plan on doing compositing work, chroma key, titles and other effects, personally I would convert the DVCPRO HD to ProRes HQ before import into the timeline. It will take time to transcode and you'll use a lot of hard drive space but this is the way that I like to work.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login