Re: Final Cut capturing clips at every camera start/stop

Final Cut capturing clips at every camera start/stop (June 30, 2014 02:22PM) Brock
Hello.

I'm rather baffled. I've been successfully capturing HDV footage from my Canon XHA1 with the FCP 7 in Final Cut Studio. A couple of days ago this changed, and now FC creates a new clip at each point where the camera stopped filming then started again. This has to be either the camera or FC.

I tried recapturing tapes that had been sucessfully captured "whole" earlier, and they now too become a series of individual clips broken at stop/start points. So seems it can't be a problem created when the images are laid down on the tape. But of course it could be the camera's reading of the material.

I've been trying all sorts of other things to see if I can figure this out. One thing I thought I'd do would be change the FC settings, unchecking "abort capture on dropped frames" and changing the "on time code break" to "warning after capture". I thought this would allow me to capture a chunk of a tape and then look at it's time code to see if a frame is actually "lost" at these "breaks" (the consecutive clips now being captured all have one frame of time code missing between them). I did this but even with these instructions FC did the same thing - created new clips at every stop/start point of the camera.

This makes me feel it can't be actual time code breaks that are causing this. Is there some other data put down on the tape when the camera stops/starts? Could FC, or the camera, be detecting this and interpreting this as a TC break? But if so why did these multiple capture clips still appear after making the preference changes I've described above.

Hope there is an answer out there. if it turns out to be a bug in the camera I wonder if Canon is able to reinstall its software?

Thanks.

John
Re: Final Cut capturing clips at every camera start/stop (July 01, 2014 03:30AM) Brock
And I forgot to add, I shot some footage in SD to see how it would capture. No problems. Entire clips are captured. No breaks with new clips at the points where the camera stopped and started.

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login