Re: New Mac OS coming

New Mac OS coming (September 19, 2016 12:33AM) philsfilm
It's fall so I just heard the rumor that a new OS is coming this week. What's this one called?
So far not much discussion. Of course, there is the annual concern if it will break the legacy programs like
FCP 7 and DVD Studio Pro.
Anyone hear anything?
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 19, 2016 01:29AM) VidGreg
macOS (this is what Apple now calls MacOSX) will be released tomorrow Sept 20th, it is called "Sierra" version 10.12

Have seen some reports that FCP7 works fine in beta versions, just like current El Capitan (10.11)
Haven't seen anyone reporting on DVDSP but assume will be the level of functionality as current OS.

As always, make sure you are in the middle of your greatest and most expensive movie ever, don't bother with any back-ups and hit the update as soon as possible. (sarcasm)

My guess is that when the new Apple File System (APFS) becomes required, that may break lots of legacy apps. Time to learn FCPX

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 19, 2016 01:56AM) philsfilm
Have pretty much transitioned to FCP X. The legacy that would really be a loss for me is DVDSP4. I have Toast 14 but it doesn't compare.
When does the new Apple File System (APFS) happen?

Thanks for the info.
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 19, 2016 02:56AM) VidGreg
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 19, 2016 04:58AM) philsfilm
Well, Greg, I have a mid-2011 iMac so it appears that I'll be OK in that regard.
As far as legacy apps, I'll just ask around over the next couple of months.

Thanks again,
Phil
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 21, 2016 12:21PM) Joe Redifer
I'll Google exactly what it is after I write this post, but why does APFS even need to be a thing? I don't need to unify my watch/phone etc. And even if I did, what does the file system have to do with it? If the OS can be programmed to read and write mounted discs in a bunch of different formats (NTFS, HFS+, FAT32, exFAT etc etc etc) I think that would be all it needs to do. APFS would need to help the actual structure of the disc and the operating sstem that resided on it. I am not impressed with the iOS and despite using both a Mac and an iPhone I am not an Apple fanboy. I have the iPhone because that's what my girlfriend has and I get her hand-me-downs. There's nothing impressive about the iOS or the phones themselves and I don't feel the need to merge them with my desktop OS. The biggest feature I appreciate, though, is being able to text from my desktop. I think I can make phone calls from it as well (haven't investigated yet). I don't really see what more unification could do for me. I don't do any work on my phone (ug). Importing any videos I may take on the phone into FCPX is already stupid easy. About the only thing I would like is using iOS apps on my Mac with a mouse instead of a touch screen interface. But does the entire file system need to be updated for that?

OK now I'll Google exactly what APFS brings to the table. I just had to write an uninformed post about it before I did such a thing. Because this is the internet after all. :)
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 21, 2016 02:06PM) VidGreg
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 22, 2016 02:30AM) philsfilm
Greg,

Maybe a naive question but will access to the media WD storage drives I use be adversely affected? To boil it down to the simplest level: not being able to access media in an FCP timeline?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 22, 2016 04:22AM) VidGreg
Hi Phil
Assume here you mean will Sierra be able to access files on WD external drives(?)

There are some threads about Sierra having some issues with recognizing USB drives. Seagate seems more affected, but have seen some WD drive issues as well. Might be related to WD "Turbo" driver software. Most have been able to resolve the issue by removing the Turbo driver and relaunching. WD also is supposed to have new firmware available on their website that is Sierra compatible.
Haven't checked or heard about Seagate. Might be the NTFS driver??
So best thing is to use caution with any update.

I would be even more cautious if using 3rd party software/plugins. Make sure everything is compatible with Sierra. Seems some Audio plugins are having issues.
Would check compatibility if using any connected hardware too.

If possible install Sierra on a separate drive/partition and take for a spin.

Finally, whenever you do install, Sierra takes a very long time to fully index and analyze all the files. Lots of new stuff under the hood. This is especially true for Photos and I imagine video as well. Long time and very processor intensive, possibly days long.
Some reports of people experiencing slow responding computers and since Siri is dependent on a full Spotlight index, Siri is pretty stupid till the process finishes. Then folks seem fine with the update.

Hope this helps, Greg
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 22, 2016 04:31AM) VidGreg
One last thing (Ghost of Steve Jobs unintended) ;)
There is already a developer update for Sierra 10.12.1 out, so expect a public update soon.

Happy Computing!
Greg
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 22, 2016 04:47AM) philsfilm
All the more reason to not rush into it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But thanks for the info.
Re: New Mac OS coming (September 22, 2016 08:07AM) Joe Redifer
Thanks for the post, Greg. It does indeed seem like APFS has its advantages.
Re: New Mac OS coming (October 01, 2016 03:46AM) VidGreg
Update on Sierra
Seems Sierra is doing some weird things to FCPX.
Return of the Timecode display bug. Window has lines in it and the window is misaligned.
More troubling is some various parameters within effects seem to be broken. Text drop shadows are glitchy. Other text parameters are breaking. Trying to change these parameters results in unstable or unusable text features.
Resolution of second monitors may be broken.
Many 3rd party effects are broken.
Make sure to update FX Factory app. SugarFX plug-ins broken. Audio plug-ins may be broken.
Effects created in Motion can have issues.
Some info windows behaving weird.
Clean install and trashing preferences may resolve some but possibly not all issues.

In other areas
USB and indexing issues are happening.
Reports of Logitech mice and cursor control issues. Jumpy and erratic cursor.
If using any USB devices check for Sierra compatibility or driver updates.
Check for software updates as well.

Reports that CS5 and 6 breaking under Sierra with Adobe telling users to upgrade to CC. No promise to fix if you own the apps.

Recommend to wait to upgrade OS.
Me, down to 1 editing computer and mid project. Not upgrading soon. Will eventually load on external ssd and give it a run.
However, iOS 10 seems fine for me.
Hope this helps, Greg
Re: New Mac OS coming (October 01, 2016 05:08AM) philsfilm
Thanks for the warning.

I don't have Sierra yet but did update Fx Factory because their tech support said it would work with El Capitan.
However, I got the Timecode display bug which I never had before. Also, Andy's Transitions (Swish Dissolve and Swish Pan)
totally broke down giving me black frames and blocky video. Trashing Preferences only was a temporary fix so I discarded them and reported it to Fx Factory tech support.
Re: New Mac OS coming (October 02, 2016 01:25PM) Joe Redifer
The good news is that means there will likely be an update coming soon. Whether that's an update to FCPX or the Mac OS itself remains to be seen. I'm betting they can fix these issues with an update to either.
Re: New Mac OS coming (October 02, 2016 01:54PM) philsfilm
They better.
Re: New Mac OS coming (October 10, 2016 07:58AM) MitchellRose
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login