PC formatted external drive to mount on Mac

PC formatted external drive to mount on Mac (September 26, 2016 08:08AM) steve douglas
I have a friend who works on a PC who wants to bring over an external drive for me to copy things both on and off. I am concerned that his drive will not mount on the Mac for me to look within. Is there any kind of decent app or protocol that will allow me to do this? I don't want to reformat his drive as that would erase things going both ways.
Thanks in advance
Steve
Re: PC formatted external drive to mount on Mac (September 26, 2016 08:24AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Steve,

For the most part, Macs have always been able to read PC drives. For the PC to read Mac drives there is an app. "MacDrive' that would be installed on the PC.

--ken
Re: PC formatted external drive to mount on Mac (September 26, 2016 10:04AM) Joe Redifer
Re: PC formatted external drive to mount on Mac (September 26, 2016 10:05AM) XGTV
As far as I'm aware, although you can use apps to read alien disks, such as Macdrive, It won't allow you to write back to that disk. Maybe you could ask the PC guy to format his disk EXFAT. You can both read and write to that format but you can't use that drive for editing. Just as a means of transport from the PC to the Mac, and back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login