One last question re: external drive Daisy chain

One last question re: external drive Daisy chain (December 26, 2018 12:29PM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

Let me say that you and your website have been a wonderful source of encouragement and help to me since 2001 when I started in 2001. I will miss you and wish you all the best in the future. Perhaps we can stay in touch with an occasional email.

Having said that I have one last question that hopefully you or your readers could advise me on. I have two WD external media drives (3 TB and 6 TB) hooked up to my iMac (2011) via Firewire 800. The setup is the 3 TB is directly patched to the iMac and the 6 TB is Daisy-chained to the 3 TB. This has worked fine for about five years. Suddenly, the Daisy-chain set up isn't working with the 6 TB; the iMac isn't seeing it. I have reversed the setup so that the 6 TB is direct patched and the 3 TB is Daisy-chained. Then, the 6 TB is seen and the 3 TB isn't. I've even tried switching the Firewire 800 cable to a new one and alternating the ports to no avail. When I directed patched the 6 TB into the iMac via a USB 2.0, it was read perfectly but of course, I would rather go the Firewire 800 route as I have been. There is only one Firewire 800 port in the iMac. The drives seem to be fine independently. The problem seems to be connected to the Firewire setup.
Any idea what could be causing this problem?

Thanks so much,
Phil
Re: One last question re: external drive Daisy chain (December 27, 2018 03:09AM) philsfilm
Update: Crisis seems to be averted. Powered up this AM and all drives being seen and mounted on desktop.

Once again, thank you, Ken, and best wishes for the future!

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login