Re: Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave >

Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave > (April 27, 2019 02:05AM) johnoshea02
How would i be able to install and run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.12 Sierra & MacOS 10.13 High Sierra and MacOS 10.14 Mojave going forward even though this software is no longer supported by Apple? It has been since been replaced by Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor in July 2011.

What is the procedures i have to follow so i can run this Final Cut Studio version 3 (System Preferences etc)?

(Final Cut Pro 7 – "real-time editing for DV, SD and HD”) (Motion 4 - "real-time motion graphics design”) (Soundtrack Pro 3 - "advanced audio editing and sound design”) (DVD Studio Pro 4 - encoding, authoring and burning.) (Color 1.5 - a new color grading application adapted from Silicon Color's FinalTouch.) (Compressor 3.5 - a video encoding tool for outputting projects in different formats.) (Cinema Tools 4.5 - tools specific to film processing.) (Qmaster 3 - a distributed processing tool.)

I intend to do my projects using Mac Pro (Late 2013) With the following configuration:

Model number A1481
Model identifier MacPro6,1
Processor 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
Connectivity - AirPort Extreme 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (up to 1.3 Gbit/s), 2× Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0
Peripherals - 4 x USB 3.0, Built-in mono speaker, 6 x Thunderbolt 2, Audio output/optical digital audio output, Headphone mini-jack
Video out - HDMI 1.4 and Thunderbolt 2

I want to use Ultrastudio 3D for capture and playback feature film quality SDI, HDMI and analog video via Thunderbolt, and use a Lacie Little Big Disk 1TB SSD as a scratch disk, and Apple Thunderbolt Display (2560 x 1440) as a monitor, and Edirol MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitor as well as Fostex PMO.5 - Sub MKII for sound audio.

I await advice before i proceed any further

Kind Regards
Re: Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave > (April 27, 2019 04:38PM) Alexander
Why do you need the highest OS?
If you can install OS 10.12 on an external drive, see if FC Studio 3 will install and run properly when you boot from this. Motion probably won't unless you buy the upgrade. Compressor likewise, although Compressor3 runs OK for me there.

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave > (April 27, 2019 04:48PM) Joe Redifer
If you're installing a lower OS to run legacy FCP ,install an old as OS as possible. Like 10.8 or something like that. FCP worked less and less well with each subsequent OS update.
Re: Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave > (April 29, 2019 01:52AM) VidGreg
John
My advice would be to try FCPX and not pursue legacy FCS apps.

All of the Suite apps are no longer supported and while the advice of installing and maintaining older macOS and apps on an external drive is a great suggestion; I have drives going back to Yosemite, it is problematic to productivity in the long run. I only use them to work on old projects and I use XtoCC from Intelligent Assistant to convert older projects and send to FCPX and edit there. I also have some older audio interfaces that don't have new drivers for latest OS but all this is fading over time.

FCPX is a different animal, and takes some getting used too, but give the free trial a go. I really will not go back if I can help it. Magnetic timeline, color tools in latest version is much better than the old Color app, speed(so much faster), especially with advanced codecs that are not supported in legacy. Hundreds of reasons to use X. Legacy FCP is really smelly roadkill at this point.

Personally, if FCPX is not your cup of tea, you might want to give DaVinci Resolve16 by Black Magic a go. It is track based, but uses a node model of construction. If you can get behind the interface, the program is really powerful and there is a free version that you can try/use. The Studio/Pro version adds a few extras and is the same price as FCPX and way cheaper than FCS. There are numerous features that Resolve has that I wish Apple had like the Audio/Fairlight integration and assignability. The built in trackers are nice. Color Tools are fantastic. I think that Resolve 16 is more powerful and feature rich than all of the FCS3 apps combined, but is a processor/memory hog. In terms of features, BM is doing some great work and Apple best watch out as this is a direct competitor/alternative.

The oldest OS that you can install on a trashcan Mac is 10.9. Mavericks. Remember while using older OS's you also lose most security features.

Anyway, just my 2 cents
Hope this Helps, Greg
Re: Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave > (April 29, 2019 07:07PM) Alexander
Fine if you want to buy and learn FCPX, but if you already know 7, it's probably quicker and more efficient than experimenting with new software.

Cheers
Alexander
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login