Re: Hi8 and Minidv to FCPX

Hi8 and Minidv to FCPX (July 22, 2019 09:42PM) Craig Golding
Hi hoping someone may be able to answer this…
I have just purchased FCPX, prior to this I was using FCP7 however computer died and FCP7 with it a few years ago now so pretty rusty. At this point I haven’t checked out FCPX. I have a huge amount of video shot on Hi 8 and MiniDV tapes. (Family stuff and kids growing up, so important stuff)
My big worry is am I going to be able to edit these on FCPX? Can I import video from my old Hi8 and MiniDV cameras into FCPX ? I would need to get a couple of adapters to actually connect a camera to the computer.
If I can’t go direct from camera into computer and FCPX has anyone any ideas how I can get footage from the tapes onto my computer and then convert files to say Prores 22 so I can import them into FCPX…? The tapes are shot on cameras using PAL system. The computer is a MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5
Thanks for any help. cheers Craig

Re: Hi8 and Minidv to FCPX (July 23, 2019 09:56PM) Joe Redifer
Yes, the footage will work fine in FCPX. Assuming you captured the Hi8 stuff through your MiniDV camera. DV should continue to be supported in the app until it is inconvenient for Apple to do so. So don't make them mad! And yes, you can still capture MiniDV footage via firewire in FCPX. You just go to the IMPORT settings and choose your camera, which obviously needs to be powered up before you go to that option. Then it will capture like normal into a Library or Event of your choosing. FCPX used to be finicky with this and only captured if it saw timecode. I bitched about this and maybe others bitched as well, but fortunately this is no longer a requirement. So capturing Hi8 footage using your MiniDV camera will not be an issue at all.

Re: Hi8 and Minidv to FCPX (July 23, 2019 10:11PM) Craig Golding
Thanks very much Joe for the reply, much appreciated. I must admit I was about to push the panic button thinking I may not be able to do anything with my old family history. All I have to do now is get about 4 adapters to go from the camera to the thunderbolt 3 on my new computer..
Once again thanks and fingers crossed all will be good.
Re: Hi8 and Minidv to FCPX (July 24, 2019 10:52AM) Joe Redifer
Do they not have Firewire to Thunderbolt 3 adapters? I have a firewire 4-pin to 8-pin cable and then a Firewire 8 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Be prepared to buy more adapters in the future. They just can't keep the shape the same for any reason.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login